Home > Trip Reports > May 26-27, 2012, Hidden Lake Pk/Mesahchie Gl, NCNP

May 26-27, 2012, Hidden Lake Pk/Mesahchie Gl, NCNP

5/26/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Kenji on 5/30/12 1:23pm
[Hidden Lake Peak]

The road to Hidden Lake TH was clear to the last mile with patchy snow.  We started late after 11 am hiking through the steep open forest on the W ridge reaching the snow around 4500'.  Although there were three other cars, we did not see anybody on the upper slopes.  The snow stayed cool enough for great skiing at least for the first 1500'.  We skied down straight into the forest eventually popping out on the summer trail 100 yard from the TH.  Sorry, we don't know the snow condition along the std route.  But a lot of snow to ski!
[Mesahchie Glacier]

This place is hidden from the highway, a part of Ragged Ridge between Fisher and Panther Creeks.  We started skiing out of Easy Pass TH, but quickly switched to hiking through dry forest.  Sally had some doubt until we rounded corner into a tributary to Granite Cr.  After about 4 miles in, we reached the large basin along the North side of the ridge.  Mesahchie is the first high peak as you enter the basin.  Its glacier+snowfield provide a great 2500' run from 7500' down to 5000' at about 35 angle.  The sun was hot, but the air was cool, and skiing was great.  Unfortunately, my camera ran out of juice so not many pics.  I'd have to go back next year!  Great option in NC, highly recommended!

Looks awesome!!  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the photo.

Went up in that area last year, so much stuff to keep me interested for a while.

Nice! Thanks for the TR.

Were those three other cars parked at the west ridge or within shot of the summer trail? Just trying to get an indication if the summer trail has any kind of boot path to follow.

All cars were parked before the second last switchback, and they followed the rest of the road and the summer trail leaving ski/boot tracks behind.  We took off from the last switchback.  By now, I expect you can drive almost all the way to the TH.  Have fun!

Reply to this TR

may-26-27-2012-hidden-lake-pk-mesahchie-gl-ncnp
Kenji
2012-05-30 20:23:52