Home > Trip Reports > May 29, 2012, Granite Mountain

May 29, 2012, Granite Mountain

5/29/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by infamous on 5/30/12 6:58am
I'd been wanting to ski this one for a while  :)  Missed the trail to the summit and headed about a mile and 1200 feet into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness before realizing I was way off the quad.  Hiked back and followed the actual climbers route to the summit.  Some blowdown to mash through but overall pretty clear.  The summit stretch was pretty well bootpacked.  The cornices loomed so I stayed ridge-side. 

Following the boot path back to the trail, I got about 1500 feet of consolidated mush with plenty of open lines.  The sun-beaten snow was just perfect for a slush puppy like me.  Not sure about the southern chutes, but they looked pretty nice from what I could see. 

Wore my new T1s that I bought for ten bucks at the REI garage sale.  Tag said "Husband says they pinched his feet."  They pinched my feet at first too, but for ten bucks I broke them in  8)

This marked my 106th consecutive month of turns - the first time I counted since I passed one hundred.  Inaugurated myself into the century club with a delicious Ranger IPA. 

Thanks to turns-all-year for keeping me inspired for all these years!
View from the summit. 

Nice - congratulations on the milestone!

Yes congrats. I've still got a way to go to get to 100 if I count honest and have a 2-month streak break from the miserable late summer/fall 2005.
Two tips for you:
1) Next time you make that 'mistake' of overshooting the Granite turn by a mile - just go straight uphill. It'll take you pretty naturally into the Granite/W Granite bowl, and it's a far more pleasant climb that way. Better gradient for skinning, less av exposure, no people, and you get a nice look at all the good ski terrain in there.
2) Ranger comes in cans now, tallboys! Save yourself some weight!

Reply to this TR

may-29-2012-granite-mountain
infamous
2012-05-30 13:58:41