Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2012, Liberty Bell, Early Winter Spires

May 26, 2012, Liberty Bell, Early Winter Spires

5/26/12
Posted by Vince Lamphier on 5/28/12 8:41am
   Me and Luke and the dogs Davey (Black Lab), Whisper(Mountain Dingo), and Irie (brindle pit bull) set out to live the dream for the day. This was my first trip in this area, so the name of the tour I'm not quite sure of, but maybe somebody could clarify this for me. We started from our campsite which was directly south into trees off the hairpin corner on highway 20 below the Early Winter Spires. We hiked straight up and just to the left of the Spires and into a collouir and then to the left and up to a nice lookout at approximately  7500' at which we ate lunch and were able to get a lot of great photos from this point. With the sun and the clouds and the vistas and the some of the most beautiful mountains in the world I was blown away by the remarkable photography experience. From here we continued South into our first descent, which brought some great smooth riding corn with it. We stayed skiers right which took us into some steeper surprising  untouched terrain and the most enjoyable part of the descent. We continued our descent down to 6100' and then skinned back up to about 7000' at which  this point we dropped into a colouir back over and onto the other side of the hill from where we started, which produced a 1900' descent back down to our campsite, which was composed of some heavier stickier snow, but was still a lot of fun with a lot of different options of how you'd like to pick your way down through the trees. The overall experience was awesome and I'm going back next weekend. I'm not sure if I'm going to do this same tour or another one with similar distance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.More pictures at
What a day, indeed!  The weather was incredible.  I had to add a couple of images of the TR author, of course.

Nice pics.  Great dog in motion shot.

Vince, nice to run into you again, I had a look at your picture,  there are some I really enjoy.  Hope you had a good tour.  We skied spire gully, and it was good, but we were just a little late, and it was a little mushy.

Reply to this TR

may-26-2012-liberty-bell-early-winter-spires
Vince Lamphier
2012-05-28 15:41:14