Home > Trip Reports > May 18, 2012, Mt. Sahale

May 18, 2012, Mt. Sahale

5/18/12
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Mtraslin on 5/27/12 2:04pm
Up at two am, I decide I would sleep until three thirty am. (My gear was packed for the upcoming day, I figured I could spare another hour). First order of buisness was to pack the car, and get gas from the station across from my apartment. "Well the gas attendant was in a deep sleep". So my brother Andy decided to honk the horn a couple of times..."Poor guy launched up and out of his deep sleep". Andy then figured we could drive on empty until we got across the boarder. Three hours later we made our first point of Marblemount, from there it was another hour on the Cascade river road to the start of the trip. We had a funny chance encounter with our friend Dan Helmstadter, who lives in his Toyota truck camper, and slowly making a name for himself skiing some the steepest goat ski lines in the North Cascades. I am not sure why?, but for a brief moment Dan reminded me of Chris Farley... Was it something about living in a van down by the river maybe....

Finally at the trail head, we made a quick gear sort, and by nine am we were packed and ready to go. A couple hours of walking on the fireroad we arrived at snowline,then hour and half of bushwaking had us back into skinning mode on the glacier. With a touch and go forecast we were thankful Mt Sahale allowed us the summit pitch with good visibility. The views and mountains of the North Cascades are spectacular, and leave you wanting more. Somehow the the difficulties will fade and we will be back for more! 

Rough start with the speeding ticket from the super trooper, but I was stoked to keep the birthday tours going from Waddington, Logan, Baker and Sahale.

One of my favs, still skiable to Doubtful lake no doubt?

Doesn't appear that the moraine campsites are open yet...

Two weeks ago there was enough snow to doubtful lake.

Sorry I am not sure about the moraine campsite.... Where are they located ?

author=Mtraslin link=topic=24927.msg105515#msg105515 date=1338568169]
Two weeks ago there was enough snow to doubtful lake.

About 800-1000vt ft below the Summit on the relatively flat section near the top of the Sahale Arm.

author=Mtraslin link=topic=24927.msg105515#msg105515 date=1338568169]

the 'bumps' beyond the skier in the last pic..

Reply to this TR

may-18-2012-mt-sahale
Mtraslin
2012-05-27 21:04:45