Home > Trip Reports > May 26, 2012, Kendall Ridge, Snoshwackamee Pass

May 26, 2012, Kendall Ridge, Snoshwackamee Pass

5/26/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Splitter on 5/27/12 1:17pm
Almost June and there was still snow down to the parking lot at Summit West.  We parked there and headed for Kendall knob via the PCT parking lot.  Wasn't too bad but there are a few open creeks.  The more direct line is probably best now.  The clearcut on the knob was in great shape and if you get it just as it softens, it would make for some very nice easy to get turns.  As we reached the top of the ridge there were a few inches new over a saturated base.  The chutes were deeper glop than I expected with some minor wet sluffs.  As the angle eased on the apron, we had some very good lines with a few inches of new mush over a smooth base in between the debris paths.  Skiing lower into the valley was pretty sticky in the open but as you got into the trees it was a little better and still not too dirty.

Coming out Gold creek was interesting at first but then just way too long.  It didn't seem as bad for us as some of the trip reports I've seen.  We had multiple creek crossings but the brush wasn't too bad.  The snow coverage was pretty continuous except for about a half mile of trail and small gaps across the road.  Did I mention how long it seemed? 

We had planned on booting back over to the south side and hadn't left a car at Gold Creek.  I skied ahead to see if I could hitch a ride to retrieve the car.  As I got to the snow park, a tow driver had just unhooked a car that he had pulled out of the snow.  He gave me a ride even though he had another call come in as we were driving away.  I wish I had gotten his name, I owe him a few cold ones.
Lower approach

Peter,
Thanks for the trip and a well-worded report.  Adding a pic of Silver Peak from distance for those interested in snow condition, and an action shot.

Adding the Hillmap link with waypoints grabbed from my SPOT.

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychALEghTYXZlZE1hcBiV3CUM

Reply to this TR

may-26-2012-kendall-ridge-snoshwackamee-pass
Splitter
2012-05-27 20:17:41