telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/21/17, 05:53 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 26, 2012 Plummer Denman Plummer
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 26, 2012 Plummer Denman Plummer  (Read 2431 times)
telemack

May 26, 2012 Plummer Denman Plummer
« on: 05/27/12, 11:43 AM »

Jason Oppler and I went for some ski summits in the Tatoosh.  The only folks we saw away from the road were 3 guys on their first tour there---good to chat with you; you covered some good ground.
Plummer was first.  We had lunch on top while watching great cloud displays and buildings thunderheads, but we seemed to stay under a pressure ridge flanked by marching clouds.  We had peekaboo sun all day.  We had firm then soft turns off the top. 
Skis went on the packs for a short boot up Denman.  We changed our plan to reverse our route when Jason found a couloir ("Denman's Demon"  Roll Eyes) on the E side of Denman that went continuous through 2 cliff bands. 
We got about 10 minutes of graupel in the flats under Pinnacle-Plummer Saddle, then it cleared and we skinned to the Denman-Plummer gap to get into a nice, short N-facing couloir (the "Plummer's Helper"  Smiley).  We summited Plummer again for more verrtical.  Skiing Plummer's Helper I got knocked down by a big pinwheel I couldn't quite stay ahead of. 
Shoulda reversed our route in under Pinnacle with a bit of a climb rather than dropping lower for 200 feet more turns and a woods-thrash uphill traverse.  Oh well.   We skied through the snow bank and touched the car with skis still on. 
Not much corn yet, but the turns were great if you don't mind tele-ing wet-slide debris, mush, and sluffs.  Really fun day. 

TATOOSH IN MAY
Drive skin boot
Summit turn boot
Turn cornice chute
Gawk graupel hoot
Sweat summit mush
Chute slide push
Traverse drive night
Skied just right
« Last Edit: 05/27/12, 11:54 AM by telemack » Logged

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
T. Eastman

Re: May 26, 2012 Plummer Denman Plummer
« Reply #1 on: 05/27/12, 01:28 PM »

Sounds like the name of a law firm!
timsull
1Member

« Reply #2 on: 05/27/12, 01:34 PM »

Hey Telemack and Jason, thanks for the tips on what to check out up there, we had a great time visiting the saddles and scoping out some future trips.

That line through "Denman's Demon" was pretty bold.  Looking up at you guys from the bowl, we weren't sure it was going to go.  Nice job getting after it.

We were hoping you guys decided to take the higher route back to the car as opposed to following our track down low.  Those cliffs and the creek are bad news, so we turned back and booted back up the chute to the flats.  Definitely wasn't the skin-free kick back to the car we were envisioning!

-T
davidG

« Reply #3 on: 05/28/12, 09:22 PM »

..  We summited Plummer again for more verrtical.  Skiing Plummer's Helper I got knocked down by a big pinwheel I couldn't quite stay ahead of. 
TATOOSH IN MAY
Drive skin boot
Summit turn boot
Turn cornice chute
Gawk graupel hoot
Sweat summit mush
Chute slide push
Traverse drive night
Skied just right

skiing Hogback on a sunny day last Spring, my friend, Yakima Jack, dropped a coulie and set off a pinwheel that chased him for a couple hundred of vertical.  I watched as he did a slalom dance with it as it grew to maybe 5+ ft in diameter - it slapped him on his calves and butt a couple times, cramping his style, but never quite trashing him, before it broke up on the runout - a hoot to watch, even if makes you take measure of stability..

"Maybe we should ban hikers from anywhere that there is a potential threat to surface water?"   [courtesy Newtrout, 2011]

"Good for you for getting it and thank goodness I wasn't there with you."  [courtesy mikerolfs, 2014]
Gary_H

« Reply #4 on: 05/28/12, 09:29 PM »

Sounds like the name of a law firm!

Agreed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, one of the ambulance chasing variety  Wink

Gary

There is no such thing as too much snow............... Doug Coombs
danpeck

« Reply #5 on: 05/29/12, 09:14 AM »

Very nice.  I'm glad to see you found the sun.  I was on Ellinor teaching some young men some mountaineering skills yesterday and we had light rain down low and large flakes of snow on the mountain.  The skiing was actually quite fun.  I'm glad the clouds sheltered the already warm snow from the sun.  It sounds like the Tatoosh range was a smart choice.
joppler
1Member

« Reply #6 on: 06/05/12, 10:18 PM »

It was a great day and good times had by all.  Sorry for the late picture post, I forgot my camera in Mack's car!

Clearly there will be snow for a little while in the Tatoosh...

Mack dropping off the west side of Plummer on our way over to Denman

Mack booting up Denman

Me cautiously dropping into "Denman's Demon" preferring to stay upright instead of riding a river of slush down

Feeling a little more confident now

Sorry, but Mack bribed me not to post the video of him getting smacked by the 4' pinwheel! Wink
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.