Home > Trip Reports > March 11, 2005, MRNP - Nisqually Chute

March 11, 2005, MRNP - Nisqually Chute

3/11/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by snoslut on 3/12/05 8:24am
Friday was officially "311" day for y'all 311 fans. 8) What better way to celebrate it than harvesting some corn. Not like I need an excuse to go ride or anything.

Freezing level posted at the gate was 11,500ft and temp 40 degrees.  Nothing but sun and blue skies at the Paradise parking lot. Counted only 6 cars in the lot.  There is still enough snow to skin from and ride back to the lot.  Never thought I'd be saying that in early, mid March. ???  If you follow the main trail you will find a couple of sections where the asphalt is showing thru.  I was able to navigate it easily but in the future it may be easier to bypass it all by steering left from the trail and back right, up little drainage where the trail breaks off in two.  That is if the snow lasts off course.  The snow on the route up Pan Pt is thinning on top but still bootable.  I chose the summer route up.  I did not start skinning again until I got just above Pebble Creek.  So far the wind was light and provided some relief from the heat.  Snow was corned to perfection.  The snow on a couple of the steeper pitches of the snowfield varied in consistency.  Some of the areas I skinned up would be smooth and soft while others appeared rotted out and crunchy.  It also varied in depth.  I would penetrate 1 to 6 inches down.  Should not take too much away from the ride.

Stopped at 8500ft and converted my gear for the descent.  So far the only people I saw sliding were 2 boarders and a skier, all solo.  I relaxed and took in some views while enjoying the sounds of 311.  No eruptions from St. Helens today.  Snow was sooo smooth traversing across to the entrance.  Once there I only saw a few tracks around and not totally chewed out yet.  I stayed boarders right from the entrance and worked my way far right thru some rock sections.  This is where I found the smoothest, carvable corn.  Left side had permanant tracks etched into its surface along with some debris but looked doable.  I was able to kick off a couple inches of small wet sluffs while turning.  Crossed the gully high and ended up on some of that soft wind scultped variable.  The gully was an option but too many visible landmines for my taste.  This section carved though and once I made it to the runout it was back to a less effected surface.  

Overall the chute was good but watch out for rocks.  Felt like I was in a chocolate chip cookie factory. ;D  The snow on the hump out compacted well, making it just a little less of a challenge.  The ride back to the car was not bad at all.  Only carried once and the snow was butta.  Just make sure the wax the shit outta your sliding utensil of choice.  Another day in Paradise! ;D
sounds like it was a great day up there!  you're lucky you can work it to go during the week too... :)

Reply to this TR

march-11-2005-mrnp-nisqually-chute
snoslut
2005-03-12 16:24:13