Home > Trip Reports > May 19, Silver Peak - via Silver Fir Chair

May 19, Silver Peak - via Silver Fir Chair

5/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Chamois on 5/23/12 12:28am
Did quick solo up to the west ridge starting at the base of the Silver Fir chair at central, thru the winter trail to Windy Pass, up the clearcut and into the basin.  Good coverage all the way, a bit cupped in the forest.

A couple snowmobilers up in the basin having a gas-fired BBQ - I had a higher mark than they did  ;).  Remnant cornice made for a steep entry off the ridge but it all skied well and too soon I was back at the bottom.  Sticky snow thru the clearcut, snow soften in the forest for a decent ski out.  Hoofed to top of Outback for the last run and was still able to ski to the car.  Surprising about of snow still at the pass level.

Chatted with an Indian family at the base giving their kids sled rides - grandma in a Sari

'twas looking good from across the way...

was wondering where that sno mo whining was coming from... now I know

I imagine the snow won't be holding for the summer solstice again this year :(

Nice report. Any status of the road coming up to Windy pass from the Hyak side?

Road looked well covered at Windy Pass area.  But I met a XC skier who had come from Hyak.  He said he first attempted clockwise circuit but there were large bare patches, so he headed for Grand Junction instead.  So a liittle bit of a wait yet I suppose.

I've seen the well-covered at Windy Pass while cars are parking a few hundred yards to the south. So I think it's a bit hard to tell unless you go over and take a peek, but then there are also a few places where the snow tends to pile up en route as well (e.g. that one switchback that is always eroded and rocky).

On the 20th, the road was snow covered just past the treatment plant.

Reply to this TR

may-19-silver-peak-via-silver-fir-chair
Chamois
2012-05-23 07:28:51