Home > Trip Reports > May, 19, 2012, Snoqualmie, Ziegenbein

May, 19, 2012, Snoqualmie, Ziegenbein

5/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 5/22/12 5:28am
Saturday was a fine day up on the Pass.  I almost didn't go. I thought I had overslept. But when I stepped out on the porch after breakfast, the air still had a nice bite to it.  I decided to drive up anyway.  I was thrilled to find the snow still crunchy when I started skinning shortly before 9am.  Ended up at one of this seasons haunts.  After some examination it looked good and I dropped this line:

first leg

Almost 2,000' with a nice rhythm to it. Tight steep resistant giving way to super relaxed velvet cruising before diving down the second leg, a slight diagonal chute cutting the cliff band, with room to move.  Almost entirely hidden unless you're in it, or standing in just the right spot. This line was the fruit of good old fashioned pioneering. No aeroplanes, motors or electric gadgets involved. Even a map registers little more than a scarcely perceptible undulation.  Anyhow, I'm probably making this sound better than it is... the way out can be arduous and riddled with potential hazards. Think carefully about timing, conditions and exit strategies.

shadows sliding sideways

entry

right-hand variation: not so appealing when it's a-peeling

companions
Aptly named line, Ziegenbock. N

author=niko link=topic=24867.msg105060#msg105060 date=1337721506]
Aptly named line, Ziegenbock. N

purely geographical, my dear Watson...

Most detailed mystery trip report ever!

Reply to this TR

may-19-2012-snoqualmie-ziegenbein
cumulus