Home > Trip Reports > May 20, 2012, -- Beverly Bean Loop

May 20, 2012, -- Beverly Bean Loop

5/20/12
Posted by Randito on 5/20/12 2:14pm
Hoping to avoid heavy rain, headed to the Teanaway with EdM, DavidA and my dog Tia.   Explored NF Teanaway River road and found it blocked at 3600ft (about 4 miles from the Longs Pass trailhead) and with several snow-machine trailers already parked there.   Headed back to the Bean Creek trailhead -- amazed to find the lot there packed with cars.   Headed up Beverly Creek instead of up Bean.  Creek is running pretty high, my buddies were able to cross on logs, but I waded, so I could help my dog make the crossing. Fairly continuous snow started at 4200ft, but walking was easy, so waited until 4500ft before skinning €“ about two miles from the trailhead.   Followed trail until trees thinned and the skinned more directly to the ridge separating Beverly and Fourth creeks.   One gaining the ridge at about 6000ft encountered another group of skiers having lunch.     Too a relaxed lunch at this point, with one of my little group taking  nap on a dry spot in some trees on the ridge.   After lunch the other group headed back down retracing the up track,   We kept skinning up the NE ridge of €œMary€, with was fairly straight forward, snow conditions generally being quite good, with only occasional mushy sections.   Intermittent drizzle and breezes gave way to dryer conditions once we reach the top of €œMary€ peak €“ (6699 ft. according to my GPS gadget).   Dropping into Bean creek basin, found decent snow, a little softer than corn, but firmer than mush and I didn€™t find the snow sticky, but my companions did feel a little drag.   Good skiing down Bean Creek basin to about 5000ft,  bumpy snow from there to 4500ft as well as many boot tracks.   Gullies on west side of Earl look like the will still be skiable for a little while longer, but passible snow is getting narrower.   South facing gullies on €œBean€ peak only skiable about halfway down now €“ good thing we felt too lazy to have skinned up to try those.    Bean Creek running high with all foot logs having water running over them.  Wading across was easy, but I had to do it three times to finally get Tia the dog across (not a water breed)  Encountered other of skiiers group at junction of Beverly and Bean creeks where there were just completing their return.

Randy -- I like the video.  What kind of camera were you using?

Looks like snow conditions are now in good doggy-travel conditions.  Tia is no longer post-holing up to her chest.

author=JDH link=topic=24848.msg104999#msg104999 date=1337631899">
Randy -- I like the video.  What kind of camera were you using?

Contour HD  Mine is a couple years old,  the newer Contour Roam has a number of improvements.

I also hear good reports about the Go-Pro HD Hero -- but I haven't used that myself.  

And yes -- Tia was a much happier dog than on the Silver peak trip (except for the creek crossings)

Reply to this TR

may-20-2012-beverly-bean-loop
Randito
2012-05-20 21:14:36