Home > Trip Reports > May 19, 2012, Earl Peak

May 19, 2012, Earl Peak

5/19/12
Posted by Chucksan on 5/20/12 2:57am
First trip to the Teanaway was a success.  After reading trip reports that Teanaway River Road was blocked by snow just beyond Beverly Creek Campground, we opted for Earl Peak, and expected to be skinning shortly after leaving the car.  We hiked the summer trail for about 3/4 of a mile before getting to a tricky creek crossing.  We backtracked a few hundred feet and crossed on some nice dry logs, but then had to fight our way across a steep dry dirt slope and through a bit of slide alder.  Once we got back on the summer trail, we moved quickly, putting on skins about 1.5 miles from the car.  Easy skin into Bean Creek Basin, and up Earl Peak.  Booted the last 800 feet and ended up with spectacular views to Adams, Rainier and the Enchantments.  Great corn on the way down. 

At the end of our trip, we drove up Teanaway River road before being stopped by snow at the 6.5 mile marker.  Seems like its melting out pretty fast, and I'd imagine it will be snow free to about mile 8 next week. 
Probably your group I met at near-top flat spot where you depot'd the skis - if so hi!

Main gully skied real nice. Some of the better corn I've hit in Teanaway in 10 or so trips. This even though later in day (3:15). New snow on top had corned, and wind or sun affects had textured it to resemble the 'orange peel' texture used in drywalling (but fortunately it skied better than what I imagine skiing drywall gypsum would ski like!)

Creek crossing in standard summer trail spot was definitely running high and whatever logs were there were all covered. Fortunately the creekbed was fairly level and gravelly and thus made for a pretty easy fording. Another couple I met (they had skied off Judys) somehow got one of them across w dry feet but I couldn't manage that.

The usual way of getting up Earl from Bean Basin  (saddle lookers left then ridge) already had lots melted out when seen from below. Seen from above the only snow left on the ridge was deposit zone uncomfortably close to cornices. I went up one of the gullies, which eventually got steep enough to make booting more efficient than tenuous skinning.

Tacoma Mountaineers were up there for annual snow camp fieldtrip, always seem to be there on same weekend as them.

Had also driven up main Teanaway road to check how far could get in morning - blocked just shy Camp Wahoo and a LOT of people parked there. Was hoping to get at least to Iron Peak TH so turned back and went to Bean.

Stretch in forest between 1st and 2nd av gullies on Bean trail had no snow, which is too bad, way out goes faster when you can ski that. Decent snow started right about 2nd gully, and there was maybe another 400 yards of desperation dirty snow past gully on downhill. Direct descent of Judys above 1st gully would have been tricky, snow line was at least 250 vertical uphill w spotty cover for the next 250 after.

Reply to this TR

may-19-2012-earl-peak
Chucksan
2012-05-20 09:57:03