Home > Trip Reports > May 19, 2012, Birthday Tour

May 19, 2012, Birthday Tour

5/19/12
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by sprice on 5/20/12 2:13am
Very hard and icy snow on the first uphill on the blue lake side. Bring your ski crampons. Great corn on the rest. Very nice spring turns. Overcast muddy light throughout the day. LOTS of people!!!! 
We were lazy and got there late (11am). Sounds like it was a good idea. Great corn on all aspects, not too many people, and the clouds broke up around 4pm.

Had to park at the Overlook because no space left at Blue Lake TH.

"Muddy light" - I like that, good writing.

Did you see any climbers up on Liberty Bell and the Early Winter Spires? I wonder if the rock is still pretty wet/snowy up there...

author=zwinters link=topic=24835.msg105112#msg105112 date=1337828804]
Did you see any climbers up on Liberty Bell and the Early Winter Spires? I wonder if the rock is still pretty wet/snowy up there...

I saw climbers up there last weekend. Most were approaching on skis or splits, and were carrying ice tools for the steep snow chutes and ramps below the rock, which actually looked surprisingly clean and dry from below. Snow only covering the approaches - looked more pleasant that granite debris to me. Asked a few about it and they said it was great.

Update on Conditions From May 26: Good snow coverage the entire way with very little if any new snow from the systems earlier in the week.  The skin up to Blue Lake Col was very firm in the AM. Ski crampons would be helpful if you've got them. Possible to skin all the way to the col, although some were booting up. Great ski off the south side of the col at around 11AM and easy traverse and skinning up to the second pass. The descent off that requires a bit of a tricky entry as usual and the slopes below are well skied out. Lots of chunks on that slope by the end of the afternoon which should be quite unpleasant after a freeze tonight. Fresh turns can still be had by staying far skiers right on the descent.

Reply to this TR

may-19-2012-birthday-tour
sprice
2012-05-20 09:13:52