telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/23/17, 10:40 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 17, 2012, Mt Rainier, Muir to Nisqually Bridge
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 17, 2012, Mt Rainier, Muir to Nisqually Bridge  (Read 23434 times)
GregSimon

Re: May 17, 2012, Mt Rainier, Muir to Nisqually Bridge
« Reply #25 on: 05/24/12, 05:02 PM »

I just wanted to know "Does the snow still go to the bridge?"  And (as usual) Amar delivers what those inquiring minds want to know.
« Last Edit: 05/24/12, 05:48 PM by GregSimon » Logged
jesski
5Member

« Reply #26 on: 05/29/12, 04:24 PM »

Original post removed.
« Last Edit: 05/29/12, 10:45 PM by jesski » Logged

bringing the fun since 1984
Jeff Huber

« Reply #27 on: 05/29/12, 06:03 PM »

Nice post Jessie.

Probably obvious to many who have spent time skiing out here, but there is really no question of whether it was done in a day before by a woman. I don't really want to get into some kind of contest about who did what first, and I'm not sure that many of the women I know would appreciate being pulled into a petty argument. Without doing any actual research, off the top of my head, the first to have done this (that I know of) was probably Lisa G in Summer ’08,

Back in 2006 the late Monika Johnson posted a TR of skiing it within 24 hours:
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=5044.msg21304#msg21304

She states it was easier than she expected.

Lisa

« Reply #28 on: 05/29/12, 07:12 PM »

I must clarify that my ski off the summit was in the first week of June 1998  or 1997, I can't remember, but not '08. It was the first year Dee began working at Schurman so that would clarify which year. I skied it with David Gottlieb and the late Joe Puryear

It was not done in a day. I left White river by myself with no tent hoping to reach the Schurman hut and ski with the guys. A rain storm moved in and had me drenched mid way up Interglacier. To find shelter from the storm I began to did a snowcave and just had enough space to get out of the pouring rain while continuing to dig deeper. While still at work on my digging my friends Joe and David came upon me on their hike up to camp for their weekend duty. I will never forget the yellow Moonstone outfits they wore and Joe was rocking away with headphones and his brilliant smile that he always had. They had day packs at the time, already having gear placed at the hut.

David grabbed some of my gear to speed things up and they left climbing while I continued skinning. I'll  never forget reaching the hut and David had gone through some of my stuff sacs and was commenting on my food and how I was now to share it as he carried it.  Smiley

We had a snowstorm that night that left a 4 foot snowdrift at the door of the hut when we got up to rally. David called the Muir rangers at roughly 7:00 or so and laughingly said isn't it great on this side, we don't have to leave early.

We left at 10:00 a.m. reaching the summit at 3:00. David carried his snowboard on his back and Joe had alpine ski gear on his pack. I was the only one trying to skin until I donned crampons at roughly 12k or so because I could not keep up with Joe in the lead.

It was a fantastic ski at the time except that my Karhu Bardini skis and Rainy Super Loop bindings were a bit antiquated by today's standard for ripping it up in style.

The mountain may very well have been skied off the summit by a woman before myself. I don't know but would not be surprised. Maybe Lowell has some data.

I feel today's gear and the influence of the internet and ski mountaineering has made it much more appealing. Even as if it's not really a big mountain anymore, just a long ski. Hmmm. Technology really can change the way we view things.

I will say that it really is not important to me how fast a ski/climb is done. It is about the people we are with and the memories we share. I know some folks feel it is about your pace and how strong you are, how fast you can pull it off.

To me it has never and will never be about more than sharing the mountains with friends. I am grateful to have spent the few years I did on Rainier with Joe, Mike and Dave. I am grateful to have known Joe in his short life here. I am not out to compete and show others up. That's just me, there is no race to the top, only memories to last your lifetime.

*fixed the link - marcus*
« Last Edit: 05/29/12, 10:32 PM by Marcus » Logged
Lowell_Skoog

« Reply #29 on: 05/29/12, 07:33 PM »

The mountain may very well have been skied off the summit by a woman before myself. I don't know but would not be surprised. Maybe Lowell has some data.

Dee Molenaar's latest edition of The Challenge of Rainier has information about the first ski descent of the mountain by a woman. She was Erline Reber of Yakima, who skied from the summit on August 5, 1962. There is a nice photo of her on page 208 of the book. The book also says she made the first women's ski descent of Mount St. Helens. Her accomplishments were made more noteworthy by the fact that she was born without fingers on her right hand.

I have very little information about historic skiing by women in the Cascades. There aren't many written records. I would be happy to receive more information.
T. Eastman

« Reply #30 on: 05/29/12, 08:39 PM »

Lisa, wonderful comment!
jesski
5Member

« Reply #31 on: 05/29/12, 10:48 PM »

Lisa thanks for your comments.

I must clarify that my ski off the summit was in the first week of June 1998  or 1997, I can't remember, but not '08. It was the first year Dee began working at Schurman so that would clarify which year. I skied it with David Gottlieb and the late Joe Puryear

It was not done in a day. I left White river by myself with no tent hoping to reach the Schurman hut and ski with the guys. A rain storm moved in and had me drenched mid way up Interglacier. To find shelter from the storm I began to did a snowcave and just had enough space to get out of the pouring rain while continuing to dig deeper. While still at work on my digging my friends Joe and David came upon me on their hike up to camp for their weekend duty. I will never forget the yellow Moonstone outfits they wore and Joe was rocking away with headphones and his brilliant smile that he always had. They had day packs at the time, already having gear placed at the hut.

David grabbed some of my gear to speed things up and they left climbing while I continued skinning. I'll  never forget reaching the hut and David had gone through some of my stuff sacs and was commenting on my food and how I was now to share it as he carried it.  Smiley

We had a snowstorm that night that left a 4 foot snowdrift at the door of the hut when we got up to rally. David called the Muir rangers at roughly 7:00 or so and laughingly said isn't it great on this side, we don't have to leave early.

We left at 10:00 a.m. reaching the summit at 3:00. David carried his snowboard on his back and Joe had alpine ski gear on his pack. I was the only one trying to skin until I donned crampons at roughly 12k or so because I could not keep up with Joe in the lead.

It was a fantastic ski at the time except that my Karhu Bardini skis and Rainy Super Loop bindings were a bit antiquated by today's standard for ripping it up in style.

I feel today's gear and the influence of the internet and ski mountaineering has made it much more appealing. Even as if it's not really a big mountain anymore, just a long ski. Hmmm. Technology really can change the way we view things.

I will say that it really is not important to me how fast a ski/climb is done. It is about the people we are with and the memories we share. I know some folks feel it is about your pace and how strong you are, how fast you can pull it off.

To me it has never and will never be about more than sharing the mountains with friends. I am grateful to have spent the few years I did on Rainier with Joe, Mike and Dave. I am grateful to have known Joe in his short life here. I am not out to compete and show others up. That's just me, there is no race to the top, only memories to last your lifetime.

*fixed the link - marcus*

bringing the fun since 1984
Pages: 1 [2]  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.