Home > Trip Reports > May 15, Tooth,Pineapple Pass-expectations exceeded

May 15, Tooth,Pineapple Pass-expectations exceeded

5/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by artfreeman on 5/16/12 5:24am
Hollywood and I lead a rock climb of The Mighty Tooth for the Mountaineers Basic Alpine Climbing class.  Perfect conditions and everyone had a great time.

Upper Alpental lot open, tons of snow.  It was very warm and sunny with the slopes just cooking and near the top of the snow approach we were postholing for sure.  I did not expect much for the ski down late in the day, in fact, I expected unskiable mega glop.  The purpose of this report is to tell you that in spite of the temp, it was really pretty good skiing and the snow up there is getting consolidated.  Nice and smooth too. 

(note re climb Tooth--the often corniced area on the normal approach is pretty nasty--steep with holes.  I did not want to climb it, so we didn't.  Instead we went around behind the whole thing.  Skied down (nice ski slopes) maybe 300 vert to the right over the back and below the rock buttress and then up the snow slopes to the normal start.  Longer but safer. Minimal snow on route.)   
author=artfreeman link=topic=24810.msg104817#msg104817 date=1337199885]
Hollywood and I lead a rock climb of The Mighty Tooth for the Mountaineers Basic Alpine Climbing class.  Perfect conditions and everyone had a great time.

Upper Alpental lot open, tons of snow.  It was very warm and sunny with the slopes just cooking and near the top of the snow approach we were postholing for sure.  I did not expect much for the ski down late in the day, in fact, I expected unskiable mega glop.  The purpose of this report is to tell you that in spite of the temp, it was really pretty good skiing and the snow up there is getting consolidated.  Nice and smooth too. 

(note re climb Tooth--the often corniced area on the normal approach is pretty nasty--steep with holes.  I did not want to climb it, so we didn't.  Instead we went around behind the whole thing.  Skied down (nice ski slopes) maybe 300 vert to the right over the back and below the rock buttress and then up the snow slopes to the normal start.  Longer but safer. Minimal snow on route.)   

Hi - I did a tour today up to Pineapple Pass, skied off the backside for a couple laps and saw what must have been your party's turns (and post holes) accessing the Tooth from the backside yesterday.  Thought I'd post a couple pic's I took today of my turns and what I assume were yours from yesterday.  Popped back up and over Pineapple Pass into Great Scott Bowl and then up to Bryant Col for the ski down to Source Lake.  Nice day today!

Reply to this TR

may-15-tooth-pineapple-pass-expectations-exceeded
artfreeman
2012-05-16 12:24:45