Home > Forum > Is Twin Lakes Road Open??? (March 11)

Is Twin Lakes Road Open??? (March 11)

• Matt C
  • [Matt]
More
11 Mar 2005 06:43 #171262 by Matt C
Just wondering if anybody knows if the Twin Lakes road is open (towards Baker)? Last time I was by there a big dump of snow had been piled in front of it. If it is driveable...do you know how far? <br><br>Thanks for any info...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Telemon
  • [Telemon]
More
30 Mar 2005 16:54 #171433 by Telemon
Replied by Telemon on topic Re: Is Twin Lakes Road Open??? (March 11)
I am surprised that no one responed to your query, Matt. The barrier was gone this week. I do not know how far up the road is driveable, especially after the recent snowfall. I do know that I will be using it to access the backcountry in April, May and June. We should carpool and head up there this spring.<br>Bob

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
30 Mar 2005 18:07 #171434 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Is Twin Lakes Road Open??? (March 11)
Funny you should happen to bump this one. I took a look up the Swamp Creek/Twin Lakes Rd. the other day (Sunday) and found recent snow at the usual place around 3000 feet just before the long, flat, usually-snow-free section. A high clearance vehicle could easily have continued driving, probably nearly as far as the switchback and Yellow Aster trailhead. Of course, all is subject to change without warning. <br><br>Be careful if ever tempted to bash through that pile of snow at the beginning of the road; it usually conceals a concrete Jersey barrier.<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>Mark<br>

• Matt C
  • [Matt]
More
31 Mar 2005 11:46 #171438 by Matt C
Replied by Matt C on topic Re: Is Twin Lakes Road Open??? (March 11)
Thanks boys<br><br>Ya, the day I checked it out was great. Able to drive past Yellow Aster Butte in a low Honda Accord. A quick walk to the lakes and beyond revealed conditions on Mount Larrabee (the wind was howlin)...I wanna ski her during the Spring...but it might have to wait until next year.