Home > Trip Reports > May 11-12, bday tour and whistler couloir

May 11-12, bday tour and whistler couloir

5/15/12
Canada BC
Posted by bs. on 5/15/12 2:43pm
ever since riding [peak name redacted to avoid wrath of the locals] a few weeks ago, i've been anxiously awaiting the opening of highway 20.  my chance finally came late last week.

i started a little too early friday morning and ended up waiting atop blue peak col for an hour or so for the sun to do its work.  i couldn't have asked for better views or more pleasant conditions.

i had been thinking of going for this line (stiletto couloir?) but the big cornice sitting on top in the sun changed my mind.

unsure of exactly which way the "birthday tour" went, i decided to climb copper pass, where i ran into a friend who humbled me with an offer of a frosty beer from his overnight pack.

we climbed out of the twisp drainage and regained sight of the road... and some sweet corn.

i couldn't resist another early start the next day.

the line i'd seen from across the valley looked a little more chunky when i got close.  ever the "optimist", i climbed it anyway.

but 3/4 of the way up, when i realized there was not one section of smooth snow in the entire line, i "bailed" into the next couloir over.

i climbed most of the looker's right line, then made the sketchy traverse over into the left one, which rode much better.  i believe this is whistler peak.

my first trip to washington pass was a good one.  i love the cascades!

Reply to this TR

may-11-12-bday-tour-and-whistler-couloir
bs.
2012-05-15 21:43:23