Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2012, - Silver Star

May 12, 2012, - Silver Star

5/12/12
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by cchapin on 5/14/12 2:28am
We had wanted to ski this classic via Silver Star Creek after we had climbed it previously via Burgundy Col in August 2010.  After abandoning a last minute idea to ski the Ingraham Direct on Rainier for various reasons, we decided that this might be the last weekend to connect Silver Star car to summit.  Given Highway 20's Thursday opening, the decision was easy to make.

Considering NWAC's statement, we decided to start at 4:30am Saturday morning under frozen solid snow.  We used ski crampons all the way to saddle.  After ascending the initial steep slope on the east side of Silver Star Creek, we were able to skin right up the gut of the creek for the most part.  We crossed a few bare patches on the initial steep slope and lots of holes were appearing in the afternoon ski out - looks like this will be the last weekend to connect a full ski car to summit.  The ski out here also required some navigation over fallen trees and 1-2 feet sections of bare ground.

Around 11 we watched 2 guys with their dog, who bivied around 6000' the night before, ski from the saddle.  Conditions still felt and looked a little too firm, which was good because we were still going up.  Made the saddle just before noon, and the summit sometime around 12:30.   From there we saw at least a dozen more people coming up, as well as a couple reaching the saddle.  We skied down at 1pm after more people started to arrive at the saddle.  Upper 200-300 feet below the saddle was still a little crusty then the perfect hero corn began, until we hit the middle chute.  The snow there was a mix of soft snow, frozen debris, and semi-softened crust.

After that perfect hero corn all the way back to the upper part of the Silver Star Creek valley.  Absolutely fantastic!!

Didn't see any sluffs or instability all day - only heard a few rocks coming down from cliffs.  Still some big cornices up high.
Did you use the AT gear or stay true?

AT gear.  And the new boots are completely destroying my right foot too.  Only saw one Tele dude the entire day - dubbed Mr. Anti Social (skiing on Anti Pistes).

Chris,

What!! AT gear?  What happened?  We love to see those fine tele turns of yours!

Haha, I'll still be teleing in the winter and select days in between!  I decided to get this AT rig for spring\summer.  It's several pounds lighter than my tele setups and I like the Dynafit crampon system better than the Voile, B&D, or BD crampon options that would work with my O1 bindings.

And David, don't forget, no one cares that I tele!

I care Chris...

I hear ya on the weight though.

Blasphemy!  ;)

Seriously though, looks like one sweet outing.

Reply to this TR

may-12-2012-silver-star
cchapin
2012-05-14 09:28:01