Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2012, Chair Peak

May 12, 2012, Chair Peak

5/12/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by timmyfitz on 5/13/12 2:50pm
So, I decided to bag a beauty in my backyard, lone ranger style.  Aware of the snowpack status and deteriorating stability as the warm up continues and big slides are going to be happening, I headed out relatively early and was skiing from the upper Alpental lot by 6:30am.  Chilly at the car, with some wind blowing from up the valley and an inversion in place.  Once near Source Lake and in the basin, there were wet slide avalanches but they appeared to be only from the recent layer of top snows, not entrained into the 3' of slush under the current crust.  Headed up towards the north spire and into the upper basin and then the couloir that takes you to the south summit with a plan to evaluate from there, but to ski the south shoulder down to Bryants Couloir if I got there in reasonable time.  Put on my ski crampons and skinned until it was steep enough to don the boot crampons and ice axe.  Easy kicking up to the summit.  Being the first time up there for me (finally), I was surprised to find out that I had to rock climb/scramble up the ridge about another 20 meters to get to a spot where you can ski from. The ridge is loose rock, and a bit sketchy but I made it without too much trouble in my crampons.  Had a quick bite and put on the new Hardsides.  Ski down was pretty good corn, stayed skiers right and worked my way down to just above the couloir where I found that it was quite a tricky entrance due to the snow having melted out quite a bit.  I had to really survey my options and was considering a down climb but found a way through eventually.  Skiers right of the couloir was awesome skiing, inside the couloir was a real mix bag and very difficult skiing.  Worked my way down to source lake and rolled out of there.  Was back at the car in 3.5 hours.  Headed into town and grabbed my kiteboarding gear and headed to Jetty Island for a daily double.  A great tour, highly recommended peak bag in our back yard.  PacNW rocks!

Picks here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/timmyfitz1/ChairPeak51212?authuser=0&feat=directlink

GoPro fogged up on my decent, so no worthy skiing footage unfortunately. 
I think we saw you heading down as we were at source lake heading up to pineapple pass.  Pineapple basin skinned very nicely at 10 and skied very nicely at about 11:15.

Sounds like a nice day!  I'm a little confused though.  Your pics labeled "Summit views" are from the top of the Basin SE of Chair Peak that you climbed.  Chair Peaks actual summit is quite a bit further north with views including that ridge and basin.

Summit I gained was the south shoulder, not the North spire

Nice tour, and a "double" to boot. Spring time in the PNW is unmatched by anywhere else in the country! Just a note; Your pic entitled "not sure" is Big Snow Mt out off the Middle Fork. That's a place I hope to check out before this season is over......

Reply to this TR

may-12-2012-chair-peak
timmyfitz
2012-05-13 21:50:20