telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/17/17, 08:50 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
American Alpine Institute
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  May 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  May 12, 2012, Chair Peak
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 12, 2012, Chair Peak  (Read 2192 times)
timmyfitz
5Member

May 12, 2012, Chair Peak
« on: 05/13/12, 10:50 PM »

So, I decided to bag a beauty in my backyard, lone ranger style.  Aware of the snowpack status and deteriorating stability as the warm up continues and big slides are going to be happening, I headed out relatively early and was skiing from the upper Alpental lot by 6:30am.  Chilly at the car, with some wind blowing from up the valley and an inversion in place.  Once near Source Lake and in the basin, there were wet slide avalanches but they appeared to be only from the recent layer of top snows, not entrained into the 3' of slush under the current crust.  Headed up towards the north spire and into the upper basin and then the couloir that takes you to the south summit with a plan to evaluate from there, but to ski the south shoulder down to Bryants Couloir if I got there in reasonable time.  Put on my ski crampons and skinned until it was steep enough to don the boot crampons and ice axe.  Easy kicking up to the summit.  Being the first time up there for me (finally), I was surprised to find out that I had to rock climb/scramble up the ridge about another 20 meters to get to a spot where you can ski from. The ridge is loose rock, and a bit sketchy but I made it without too much trouble in my crampons.  Had a quick bite and put on the new Hardsides.   Ski down was pretty good corn, stayed skiers right and worked my way down to just above the couloir where I found that it was quite a tricky entrance due to the snow having melted out quite a bit.  I had to really survey my options and was considering a down climb but found a way through eventually.  Skiers right of the couloir was awesome skiing, inside the couloir was a real mix bag and very difficult skiing.  Worked my way down to source lake and rolled out of there.  Was back at the car in 3.5 hours.  Headed into town and grabbed my kiteboarding gear and headed to Jetty Island for a daily double.  A great tour, highly recommended peak bag in our back yard.  PacNW rocks!

Picks here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/timmyfitz1/ChairPeak51212?authuser=0&feat=directlink

GoPro fogged up on my decent, so no worthy skiing footage unfortunately.   
GregSimon

Re: May 12, 2012, Chair Peak
« Reply #1 on: 05/14/12, 07:55 AM »

I think we saw you heading down as we were at source lake heading up to pineapple pass.  Pineapple basin skinned very nicely at 10 and skied very nicely at about 11:15.
cumulus

« Reply #2 on: 05/14/12, 11:14 AM »

Sounds like a nice day!  I'm a little confused though.  Your pics labeled "Summit views" are from the top of the Basin SE of Chair Peak that you climbed.  Chair Peaks actual summit is quite a bit further north with views including that ridge and basin.

Stefan
timmyfitz
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 05/14/12, 10:30 PM »

Summit I gained was the south shoulder, not the North spire
freeskier
5Member

« Reply #4 on: 05/17/12, 09:18 PM »

Nice tour, and a "double" to boot. Spring time in the PNW is unmatched by anywhere else in the country! Just a note; Your pic entitled "not sure" is Big Snow Mt out off the Middle Fork. That's a place I hope to check out before this season is over......
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.