Home > Trip Reports > 5-12-12, Diamond Peak, OR

5-12-12, Diamond Peak, OR

5/12/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by blackdog102395 on 5/13/12 12:02am
About 10 years ago I first saw Diamond Peak while kayaking Waldo Lake with a friend. I spent 3 days staring at those lines and dreaming of the descent. It took me 10 years, but I finally got it done. Check.

As other reports this week are indicating, conditions were prime with some of the best corn I've skied and no shortage of vertical.

https://picasaweb.google.com/118025853069449417238/DiamnondPeakOR51212
Sweet!  Diamond is great!

stoudema, Great report from Mt McLoughlin.  Standing on top of Diamond gave me a whole new list to check off including McLoughlin, Bailey, Thielsen, etc.  Nothing like a long bushwack to make you feel like you earned it!

Would you give some details on your route in?  Congratulations on your trip.  I have been unsuccessful on making it a day trip in the summer!  So am curious on where you begin.  Thank you.

There are lots of ways to attack Diamond including Corigan Lake and Pioneer Gulch trail.  However, we decided to use the ridge to the false summit.   The last photo in the above link has a screen shot of our approach using Google Earth.  Basically we started our approach along the road and cut up through a clear cut.  From there we angled to the ridge that leads to the false summit.  From the saddle after the false summit it's a straight shot to the peak.  It can all be done without a compass, map, and/or GPS, but they were nice to have along, especially for the return trip.

Reply to this TR

5-12-12-diamond-peak-or
blackdog102395
2012-05-13 07:02:00