Home > Trip Reports > May 10-12 Teanaway-Stuart, Fortune max corn!

May 10-12 Teanaway-Stuart, Fortune max corn!

5/15/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by artfreeman on 5/12/12 11:50pm
Hollywood wanted to even out his tan, so based on recent TRs, like those from Silas, we headed up for 3 days in the Teanaway.  The road is still blocked about 5.5 from the end and we walked on dirt maybe 15 minutes on a couple sections near the start. About 5 feet of snow at the road-end.  We then skied over Longs pass.  To get onto the north side, there are cornice-free sections but they are very steep, and by the time we got there the N slope was frozen solid.  Note to self-next time get up earlier, or, traverse quite a ways east on the ridge to a gentle entrance that was still in the sun.  Wish we had realized this earlier.

Camped at Ingalls Creek which was easily crossed on snow in many spots and it was easy to get water.  But, it was way too cold at night, being in a valley on snow near a creek.  It was very hard to get up early, so we didn't.  Headed for Stuart about 8:30, downstream 1/2 mile or so and the up the Cascadian Couloir.  Easy going (we booted with crampons on much of it which was just easier for us).  Went to the false summit, where, it was agreed that the easier, wider more gentle slope east of the Cascadian would be more fun, and I bet it was!  I'm not remembering better corn than this and all the way down fairly late in the day. Totally smooth.

Saturday, worked our way up Headlight Creek and up over Fortune--again some of the best snow ever, until it mushed up near the bottom, at which point we were able to traverse across all the way back to the Longs Pass junction.

Often we are peak baggers, and Wood said it felt funny to not climb anything new, but personally, I'm in a peak bagging rehab program and enjoyed the lack of pressure, and the great turns.

(Note: there were recent tracks from at least 2 snowmobiles all the way in to Ingalls Lake, which I think is illegal.)

Did you catch the person in the first pic just as he was about to eat sh*t? What is going on there?

Nice work on Stuart, a worthy destination no matter how many times you've been there.

Let's just say it was a n00b attempt at a kick turn!

Are you turning Wood into a non-peak bagging skier?  I never thought I'd see the day!

Looks like a good trip.

Reply to this TR

may-10-12-teanaway-stuart-fortune-max-corn
artfreeman
2012-05-13 06:50:25