Home > Trip Reports > May 11, 2012, Silver Fir -- Summit Central

May 11, 2012, Silver Fir -- Summit Central

5/11/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 5/12/12 9:17am
Zap and I got a nice mid-morning start at Summit Central€™s Silver Fir run.  We climbed skier€™s left so that we could take advantage of the shade and the nice breeze as we worked our way up Outback.  The snow had started to soften after freezing overnight, so it made for good climbing.  When we got to the steep section of upper Outback, we put on our ski crampons as an extra precaution for Zap as his right leg is still a bit weak.  By gradually zigzagging our way up, we made it to the top by the lift station in 2 hours for a total of 1134 VF.  This was Zap€™s goal before heading off to MN for his procedure. 

What a gorgeous day €“ great views from the top.  We stopped and had a nice rest break, met a young split-boarder with a 12 month old Brittany Spaniel, and enjoyed our accomplishment -- felt very satisfied with ourselves.  This was quite a stretch given that we€™d only climbed 722 VF when we were here Tuesday.  When we finally pulled our skins and headed down, we had wonderful spring corn conditions all the way down.

Zap still has one more trip that he wants to do before getting on the surgery table.  He wants to take advantage of the spring tickets that we have for Crystal.  The runs off Rex are still a bit too much, but the runs off Forest Queen should be just right €“ as long as we can ski down from there.

We know that this seems kind of crazy given everything that€™s going on, but it€™s what Zap wants/needs to do to keep from feeling overwhelmed by it all€¦

That seems about as natural as I could imagine Jill -- Crystal should be great with this weather.  Go get it! :)

Hi Zap. I don't know you, but you are an inspiration. I did the same route today with my wife and it was beautiful. Best wishes.

Hi Zap and Jill!
Great accomplishment Zap!  Forest Queen will be a treat - a piece of cake.  Thanks for the great photos too!
Linda and Gerry

Over 1000' of skinning, yeah!  I can only hope I have the enthusiasm and determination to follow in your footsteps when I face similar obstacles.  Way to go, hats off to you my friend.

Nice work, you two!  We're headed to Crystal tomorrow - If you're going - don't forget it's 80's retro day - have Zap dig out his disco clothes!
Blessings!
Don

Hi Zap, was just out at Silver Fir the day after you.  Was hoping to see you as I know that it is one of your favorites.  Considering all that has happened - you are amazing!

Ron T

Huzzah! Y'all never miss out on the corn harvest :).

Very best wishes for next week's adventure - we'll be thinking about you guys!

Alright, Zap! 

Zap = Best trip reports of the year!

Reply to this TR

may-11-2012-silver-fir-summit-central
Zap
2012-05-12 16:17:36