Home > Trip Reports > May 5-6, 2012, Olympic Surf and Turf

May 5-6, 2012, Olympic Surf and Turf

5/5/12
WA Olympics
Posted by skierlyles on 5/11/12 2:35pm
Surf and Turf€”usually served at fine restaurants, but served up this past weekend on the magnificent Olympic Peninsula. In order to maximize our weekend, Altasnob and I decided that we should surf and ski.  Hence the €œSurf and Turf €œweekend was borne.

There are very few places in the world where one can enjoy waves and a good snowpack within a few hours drive€”the Olympic Peninsula is that place.

Snow accumulates in copious amounts as storms flung down from Alaska and the Northern Pacific slam into the first orographic barrier they encounter. This snow falls on high peaks, accumulating over a brutal winter. Thrashed by winds and burdened with snow, the forests slowly shed their loads and meadows come out of winter€™s grip. The snow, once copious and deep, begins to see the increasing solar radiation take its toll. Snow melts. Droplets of water percolate thru the snowpack, traveling downhill, following the path of least resistance. This water, water of life, makes its way down gullies and into streams. These veins feed into larger rivers, carrying clean, cold water into the Sound, Strait, and Pacific.

The journey began with a ferry across the Sound. With surfboards attached to the roof and skis in the car, we were ready for an adventure. A short ferry ride and drive to Lyre River campground marked our first night€™s stay. The river grumbled in the background. Snowmelt snaking it€™s way to the ocean provided welcome white noise for our first night€™s camp.

Day one began with a drive up the Strait, our eyes open, scanning the coast-- searching for a wave to ride. The Strait, glassy as I had ever seen it, showed mere glimpses of the epic surf it could serve up in optimal conditions. We continued on, searching for our wave. Arriving in Neah Bay and having examined nearby breaks we determined that the open ocean would be the only place with enough exposure to the smaller swell, likely providing rideable waves.  A long car ride and weak swell at Hobuck prompted a hike into another beach. Even if there were not waves there we would not be disappointed by the views. Lashing our boards to our shoulders we took to the trail. After navigating several muddy bogs, we eventually reached the ocean. Waves could be heard crashing on the coast, signs of the prospect of rideable waves below. The open ocean would not disappoint. She served up waves that we eagerly rode, enjoying the solitude that can only be experienced when one hikes a bit further than the next. The coast showed us all her moods, driving rain, bluebird, suckerholes, greybird, wind, and glass€”it was all part of the adventure. When the waves finally died down we did what anyone would do in that situation€”made the most of the clearing skies and enjoyed the sunshine with a side of beer.

That night I dreamt of visiting the snowy peaks up above Lake Crescent where we stayed that night.

Our second and last day dawned clear and beautiful. Sore arms and shoulders would have time to recover as we were going to be using other muscles on this day. Driving up to Hurricane Ridge we relished in views stretching in every direction, snowy peaks stacked up along the horizon, beckoning to be explored. Many places I may never ski were teasing me with lines down every peak€”one person€™s entire life could be spent attempting to ski these myriad lines in the Olympics.

We arrived at Hurricane Ridge late in the day, to partly cloudy skies and a parking lot full of tourists enjoying the views. Partly cloudy skies were welcomed, helping cool the air, keeping snow firm, and keeping our hopes alive of finding good snow to ski. We were not to be disappointed. Clouds perfectly shielded the snowpack from the harsh rays of the sun, allowing our late start to be rewarded by slowly corning slopes. We skied them, the sun and clouds dictating our direction. A warm-up run off the backside of the ski area would reward our lazy start to the day, finding nicely softened slopes far skier€™s right off the top of the rope tow.  Not too firm€¦not too soft€¦but just right. This was going to be a good day. From the base of the backside rope tow we decided it would be nice to link up with the peak off in the distance€”Hurricane Hill. Ascending back to the visitor€™s center we eventually connected with the road to Hurricane Hill. Collapsed cornices from previous days greeted us in all directions, warning us of potential dangers. Clouds continued to provide cool temps keeping the snow from glopping up and sweat from forming on my brow.

Skinning along a road covered in snow can be quite nice sometimes, providing a level of relaxation to an otherwise strenuous activity. Making quick work of the road we contoured up the rolling ridgeline, eventually reaching the top of Hurricane Hill. We were rewarded with views in all directions--the mighty Elwha River Valley below, Strait of Juan De Fuca in the distance, glimpses of the San Juans, and a window into the heart of the Olympic Peninsula€”Blue Glacier on Mount Olympus shimmering in the sunlight. After a lunch of smoked salmon from Neah Bay we relished in the views awhile longer and readied for our descent.  Our first run was just along the shoulder of the route, and a mere taste of the perfectly softening snow was had. Quickly skinning back up, we skied down the heart of Huricane Hill bowl. Whooping our way down, snow spraying, skis cutting into perfectly softened snow. Not too firm€¦not too soft€¦but just right. Corn. Powder and corn skiing can be similar sensations, and just as satisfying. I love corn. Of course we had to have another lap. Not the steepest, gnarliest line we could have skied this day--but perfect pitch, fantastic snow, and epic views in all directions made it feel like an €œepic-all-time€ day.

Skinning out I savored the scene, realizing how lucky we all are to enjoy such wonderful places. Surf and turf, mmm, good.

Photos by Altasnob:
Looks like a good mission. Having surf and turf on the menu is hard to turn down. Its very relaxing surfing out at shi-shi.

Well articulated TR, buddy.  Way to make the most of your trip back!

Hey Chris!  Glad you made it back up for a NW fix.  Good trip report, pretty cool to combine two "cool" hobbies.

author=skierlyles link=topic=24764.msg104586#msg104586 date=1336800942]

Skinning out I savored the scene, realizing how lucky we all are to enjoy such wonderful places. Surf and turf, mmm, good.

Well said, those of us who live on the Peninsula feel blessed to have these treasures in our back yards .............

Gary

Reply to this TR

may-5-6-2012-olympic-surf-and-turf
skierlyles
2012-05-11 21:35:42