Home > Trip Reports > May 9 Wy'east Face Corn

May 9 Wy'east Face Corn

5/15/12
Posted by christoph benells on 5/11/12 2:34am
Wy'east is in primetime condition now.

Freezing level was very low on the night of the 8th, and one group i talked to said "i hope it softens for you."

That brought back bad memories of late april, when two beastly telemarkers said the same thing to me. They climbed Sunshine route and descended Luethold's, and i thought for sure i would hear about them dead on the nightly news. apparently they made it. We followed their boot pack up the sunshine route hoping to descend the sunshine from the ridge. The snow never softened and we had ride the south side, hitchhike, and skin back up to tilly jane with toasted legs.

Well it softened up just fine yesterday. Today is probably even better.

The skin went easy as pie and the climb was cake. I was on the summit ridge in no time.

It was the second tour in my new hardboot setup, which is still a work in progress. once i get them tech toe pieces, and throw some cants into the bindings i think they will ride just fine. They offered great support for the ride down. They were so responsive one of my jump turns felt like i popped 4 feet off the mountain.

The corn was about four inches deep and was very edgeable in all spots and most awesome. there were a few loud turns, right in the steepest section that required full concentration.

Modded Black diamond Prime and a shout out to roger strong.

I made it back to the car quickly and the entire trip (car to summit ridge to car) was 4 hours and 36 minutes. I had a beer stashed in the creek and sat there at the waterfall for a bit. It was such a nice day I had to stop at salmon river on the way home too.

Springtime in oregon is so nice. make the most of it while you can. Gosh dang.

Nice Chris!  Looks like you scored the goods and timed it perfectly.  I need to get on that route sometime soon!  I disagree with you on one thing though - Oregon sucks, especially in the spring, and anyone thinking of moving here should reconsider because all it does here is rain ;)

Reply to this TR

may-9-wy-east-face-corn
christoph benells
2012-05-11 09:34:14