Home > Trip Reports > Apr 29-May 8,2012, Summit West/Central;LungProblem

Apr 29-May 8,2012, Summit West/Central;LungProblem

4/29/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Zap on 5/9/12 1:06pm
Zap and I have been getting out and skiing a bit.  We€™re using this as part of his stroke rehabilitation €“ with his doctors€™ approval, no less.  We€™re slow, stop frequently (every 10 minutes or so) to check heart rate and take a break, but we€™re getting up there.  Zap is getting more and more comfortable on his skis, but even so, we still stop about every 100 VF skiing down.

April 29 €“ Silver Fir, 596 VF, climbed up to base of Hogwild run, skied down Silver Fir lift run €“ cool & overcast, nice snow.
May 6 €“ Summit West, 654 VF, climbed to top of lift area, skied down Dodge Ridge €“ warm day, heavy sloppy snow, very tiring.
May 8 €“ Silver Fir, 722 VF, climbed part-way up upper Outback run approaching from climber€™s left €“ sunny with nice breeze, snow in good shape.

Each of these climbs took about 1 hour to the turn-around point and another 30 to 60 minutes back to the car, but who€™s counting€¦

But there is a problem.  We just found out what caused the original lung problem, and it€™s a big scary deal!  The solution necessitates a trip back to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, later this month.  Check http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/zapski for details.

Jill and Zap
You are the king of positive energy. We are cheering you awesome attitude.

Glad you're still skiing and I hope to hear good news from the Mayo Clinic in the near future.

Y'all rock.  Keep us posted on the word from Mayo.  Mystery lung problems suck, it's great that you have a path forward.  We'll be thinking of you!

I got a feeling that the Zapman will weather this storm with flying colors.
Go get 'em Zap & Jill  :)

Hey guys, I've got a tiny condo at Alpental and would be happy to go out on a short backcountry trip with Zap.  Your description of how time on skis helps with difficult situations really resonates with me.  PM or email me anytime if Zap wants to get out and Jill can't.

Cheers.

Are sure these Docs just aren't doing this just to ski with you ?
Seriously ZAP , good luck with this next challenge.

It's fantastic to see you skiing again Zap! Don't let this next hurdle get you down.

I trust you will be skiing soon enough. Your strong will alone is enough to battle any ailment.

You have an amazing woman at your side cheering you on as we all are, so keep up the positive attitude you two as I hope to see you on the slopes soon.

The Mayo Clinic is the best, you are in good hands there.

Best wishes to you both!

Reply to this TR

apr-29-may-8-2012-summit-west-central-lungproblem
Zap
2012-05-09 20:06:08