Home > Trip Reports > May 6, 2012, Middle Fork (there's only one)

May 6, 2012, Middle Fork (there's only one)

5/6/12
Posted by trees4me on 5/8/12 9:48am
The text went out at noon Saturday:  "big day, start low"

A few innocent suckers replied back and a plan was hatched for Sunday.

The notorious man-eating potholes of the Middle Fork Road did not dissappoint on the drive out, but the car survived (this time).  We arrived at the parking lot, approximate elevation 1000', and were pleasantly shocked that no other skis were in sight.  The goods were surely all ours today.   ;D

Crossed the bridge and started walking down the newly constructed PCT-esqe trail.  The bags were loaded with skis and ski boots, but the sun was shining and the river was beautiful. 

We enjoyed the nice, easy to follow, fishermans path up to snow line (~2200').  Garfield was just stunning with it's snow streaks and granite slabs.

Eventually some switched to skins, while a couple of us booted all the way to the lake (3800').  There was 8-12 inches of fresh that made travel fairly slow going, but that's why we selected this exploratory mission. 

We arrived at the frozen lake, enjoyed lunch while we basked in the beautiful sunshine.  Any ambition for a summit bid was lost, this was simply a fun day in lonely snow covered mountains.  We decided we still had some time to head up the ridge for better views and some skiing.  The ridge did not disappoint, though conditions were generally deep and heavy for spring skiing. 

Fun day up the middle fork (snoqualmie).
Wow.  I thought I did a lot of earning for my turns in low elevation, local terrain.

You've taken low to a whole new level!

Impressive determination.  Thanks for the report.  I've read of the idea of skiing down from Mt. Snoqualmie towards the Middle Fork and turning around after hitting dirt but I've never thought of the opposite approach.  Hiking 1200' of vertical with ski gear reminds me of my attempts at McClain Peaks.

Time for me to finally buy those Scarpa Maestrale hiking boots I've been dreaming about.

Cheers.

The lake being "Rainy" and the summit being "Preacher"?

author=RossB link=topic=24734.msg104500#msg104500 date=1336608582]
The lake being "Rainy" and the summit being "Preacher"?

Somehow you cracked the code  ;)

There's good ski terrain up there.  Though, I wasn't expecting so many large cliff bands.  That was a nice surprise.  I might have to go cragging at the lake later this year...

Reply to this TR

may-6-2012-middle-fork-there-s-only-one
trees4me
2012-05-08 16:48:09