Home > Trip Reports > May 7, Mt. Kent, needs more snow, stability

May 7, Mt. Kent, needs more snow, stability

5/7/12
Posted by Troy on 5/8/12 9:17am
I was in the mood for some exploring and went to check out Mt. Kent.  I would not recommend this trip at this time of year.  Not enough snow nor stability.  However it was still a fun day of adventure.  This area might make for a great trip during mid winter with stable conditions.  The attached pictures give a flavor of the trip.  More pictures are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111955726492601080503/Kent?authkey=Gv1sRgCPL4y9Kzl4elrAE

The southern ridge that leads to the summit has €œNo Trespassing€ signs all over the side towards Chester Morse Lake watershed.  This surprised me because my Green Trails Map shows plenty of room on both sides of the ridge.  Does anyone have any info on this?  At one point my choice was to cross the trespassing sign line or step out onto a cornice overhang so I turned around.  I did get pretty close to the top though.  Big wide open bowl, fairly steep at the top.  Would make for some fun laps if conditions were good.

Cheers.
Nice!  I've always looked at those valley's while heading up to the pass, wondering if they got skied.  It looks like there's some nice terrain, but wondered if it is worth the price of admission?  Maybe a good project day when you can't decide what to do.

Skiing off the top of McClellan looks WAY easier in your picture than it does from the view when you are driving down I-90.

Reply to this TR

may-7-mt-kent-needs-more-snow-stability
Troy
2012-05-08 16:17:54