Home > Trip Reports > May 5, 2012, Shuksan Arm

May 5, 2012, Shuksan Arm

5/5/12
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by David_Britton on 5/5/12 11:39am
Nice tour up to base of chair 8, and contouring up the various knolls to one just left of the safety saddle. 95% of this was 25 degree type pitches. Latest storms have left a foot or more of unconsolidated wet stuff with a 2 " breakable crust on top. Fun ascent. Un-fun descent. Nothing moving anywhere in terms of slides. Temps mid 30's broken clouds.
what time of day did you descend?

aha. You're the set of skin tracks I was following through the ski area yesterday. I was up there taking photos and admiring your tracks..

That's funny because those tracks belong to my friend and I.....we actually didn't have the best visibility....the reason we didn't take fall line.....apparently by the looks of you photo.....things got better.  The snow was so deep on Winnie's!

author=samoon link=topic=24703.msg104518#msg104518 date=1336624927]
That's funny because those tracks belong to my friend and I.....we actually didn't have the best visibility....the reason we didn't take fall line.....apparently by the looks of you photo.....things got better.  The snow was so deep on Winnie's!

Wow, there is that much unconsolidated on winnies slide?????? We are heading up there this weekend to boot up via Fisher Chimneys. I didnt think there would be that much powder up there still given the recent weather. Guess im bringing snowshoes

It warmed up significantly the 6th, 7th, and 8th, and the Fischer Chimneys are west facing.  Now it looks like it has cooled back off.  I think you'll be fine there now.  Not likely to be any pow on that aspect (or anywhere really).

amazing photos, both the professional panorama, and the up to the waist one! What approx elevation was the up-to-waist one taken at?

Reply to this TR

may-5-2012-shuksan-arm
David_Britton
2012-05-05 18:39:38