Home > Trip Reports > April 29, 2012, Mount Scot east (crater lake NP)

April 29, 2012, Mount Scot east (crater lake NP)

4/29/12
OR elsewhere
Posted by Timstirling on 5/2/12 12:20pm
After my successful mount McLoughlin expedition upon return to the car at sat sunbathing enjoying the sun. I was pretty exhausted after the long climb and Lumbering through the forest back to the car but decided I would keep with. Y plan and stay in Klamath Falls Saturday night with a plan to hit Mt Scott Sunday on the way home.

I stayed in a terrible motel (econo lodge, really dirty, not recommended). I left Sunday later than planned after getting little sleep due to the broken toilet flushing every 30 minutes, the incessant humm of some generator or AC unit next to my room, noisy neighbors, traffic, a fire alarm at 2am and proximal gunfire noises st 3am...

On the drive to mount Scott I had to stop for fuel, stop for provisions, and stop to buy duck tape tomfix a broken ski pole. Getting to the right forest roads from highway 97 proved difficult because many of them led to private property ( I got chased away by a pack of angry dogs at 1 point). As I got close large snow drifts appeared, my forester crawled over the first few but then I seemed to reach consistent snow cover at 4850ft, nearly 6 miles and  over 4000ft from the summit. By this point it was 9:45 and being tired I decided I probably wouldn't summit but should enjoy a mellow tour in the warm spring sun and the quite pine forests.

I skinned along some forest roads in the direct of mount Scott, very gently climbing, pleasant but a little hot. After 3.5 miles and 1400ft I arrived at the top of the forest roads where I had originally planned to make my way up the SE ridge towards the summit. By this point I was tied with sore feet from the distance covered and the big climb the day before.  However, since i had now arrived at the start of the climb i was motivated to give it a good shot, with less than 3000ft and less than 3 miles to  the summit form this point. There were already some tracks which I followed. The heat and sun was quite intense being so late in the day which made for an uncomprtable climb. Once I got within 1500ft of the summit I knew I ha to push on in order to get the views of crater lake. After some pushing I was well rewarded with fantastic views of a cloud filled lake. I finished at the 2nd (southern) summit without the watch tower as the traverse would add unnecessary extra time which I would have to double back on for the descent, all for an extra 20-30ft ascent.

Temperatures were very mild and pleasant and I could have spent hours looking at the lake but it was getting late (I summited at about 1.15) and snow deteriorating in the sun. A large group of skies were at the watch tower and traversed back to me before descending.

The descent back to the forest roads was fun, fast, smooth and very enjoyable. I kept to the SE ridge like the other skiers, the obvious tree free bowl and avalanche path just didn't seem a wise line choose but was tempting. I think a little more freeze-thaw is needed, and an earlier start. A very long slog was required to cover the 3.5 miles back to the car along mostly flat roads with deep wet heavy snow. Still, a fantastic journey.

The objective. Originally i was going to ski he avy path but snow conditions dictated saying to the SE ridge lookers and climbers left, just on the skyline.

Ascent towards the summit. The UN was really working the snow.

The reward, the view

The true summit and watch tower

More crater lake

Way to get after it - that sounds like quite a haul, especially after Mt. McLoughlin and hotel hell!  Awesome pictures of the lake, and from the day previous on McLoughlin.  Mt Scott seems like a tough one - I tried it a couple years ago, waiting until June for the road to melt out (just barely), but by then the mosquito swarms were so intense that they drove us away.

Yeah, it is a long haul along gentle forest roads, which although very easy waste time and energy before you get to where you want to be. And then on the return they are too gently to ski down requiring almost as much effort to get back down as going up, especially when the snow is soft. In wnter with the snow remaining firmer the return through the forest roads may be more amenable but you will still have the long approach.

Skinny XC skis could be used to improve the approach but i don't know if it would be worth the extra hassle and carrying alpine/tele gear on your back.

Still, I think it is a worth while objective, the view alone makes it worth it, and the descent option down the east or NE bowls and avy paths in safe conditions look to be great. Even when sticking to the SE ridge or areas in the trees the tree are well spaced, even towards the bottom.

Reply to this TR

april-29-2012-mount-scot-east-crater-lake-np
Timstirling
2012-05-02 19:20:53