telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
11/24/17, 08:30 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  April 2012 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  April 28, 2012, Mt McLoughlin, OR
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: April 28, 2012, Mt McLoughlin, OR  (Read 1345 times)
Timstirling
5Member

April 28, 2012, Mt McLoughlin, OR
« on: 05/01/12, 09:31 PM »

With another fine weekend forecast I planned a 2 day 2 mountain trip- mount McLoughlin Saturday, stay in Klamath falls and mount Scott sunday.

I left Eugene a little later than planned after 5am due to a rough night. As daylight came I was annoyed to see the sun hidden behind a low veil of clouds. I wondered what alternatives would be worth considering, especially as I was still feeling a little sick. decided to push on to Medford anyway and see how the day goes. A slow journey due to additional unplanned toilet stops (I guess it was the dodgy Thai food the night before...).  I pull into the parking lot at the snow park after 9 and was surprised at the lack of snow, the warmth and the clouds,but at least it was bright and dry.

I set forth through the forest on more or less continuous snow, but quite thin and littered with debris. Followed the PCT for 20 minutes before deciding to head in a more direct route to the summit ridge at 7000ft. Weather got brighter but clouds surrounded the summit. But as I climbed I seems to follow a pool of sun. Firm snow under. Few inches of soft wet snow meant for relatively easy skinning but a little slide slip on the steep slopes towards the summit.

Arrived on the summit above a sea of  clouds, amazing experience that I have rarely experienced but often seen in photos.  Was almost windless on the summit and quite warm, had lunch with a older guy who had hiked up, the only person I saw all day.

Descent was down the SE bowl and avalanche path, excellent corn snow on a perfect esy angle. Once in the trees the snow rapidly got worse and it the return to the car was surprisingly tough, a long shallow traverse with patchy snow. At one point I got trapped in a lava flow which proved a pain in the butt to hike out of, walking on e snow I sank to my thighs while walking on the loose lava blocks was treacherous. Skied direct to the road after the lava and hiked 0.75 miles back to the lot. If I was too do it again I would ignore trying to traverse to the car and try and ski straight to the road and hike back.

Summit view

NE bowl, pitty such a long way back to the front of the mountain.

The descent! Well over 3000ft of corn from the top

Trapped in a lava field
« Last Edit: 05/01/12, 09:43 PM by Timstirling » Logged
telemack

Re: April 28, 2012, Mt McLoughlin, OR
« Reply #1 on: 05/02/12, 05:57 AM »

Good TR!  I did the NE bowl once and had an interesting traverse back to the trail.
How about Mt. Scott? 

There is no cure for birth and death save to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.