Home > Trip Reports > East peak and beyond today

East peak and beyond today

5/15/12
Posted by dtwolfen on 5/1/12 8:46am
Started climbing east peak this morning headed to union creek and beyond.  There was 2 inches of new at the base area with rotten snow underneath. Every pole plant was two feet deep while my skis stayed on top.  I left at 9:30 this morning wishing I had left at 8; but things came up like delyaed contractors and life delays me so I got going, setting a time of 11 at the lastest for the top of the ridge to union creek.  I had planned on looking at my situation at 11 then 1230 then 2 to see if what I wanted to do was a good plan.  Made it to bullion basin at 10 and thought no problems the ridge is only 15 minutes aways.  Well I decided to traverse up to the ridge which was my first mistake. 
I slide down more then I went forward.  I was getting frustrated.  Walking forwards on the side slope was miserable with the new snow sluffing off and the rotten snow burying my poles every step.  The snow was sticking but boot packing was not an option unless I felt like going thigh deep in rotten suction snow.  So I keep going traversing ever longer and not really higher.  I wanted to get there but this was ridiculous.  Finally making it to the ridge I looked at the time. 
The time was 1111, just 11 minutes after my no go time.  For a 7 hour trip and i dont want to turn around after an hour and half because I missed my check point by 11 minutes.  That is what I must do though.  I am at the top of the ridge and no wind the snow is smooth so I fall back on plan F.  Plan A was the trip Plan B was worse case scenario Plan C was getting tired and over it Plan DEFGHI were all if something was not right. 
Plan F today was get there make some turns maybe short side trip and head back. I decide to head up east peak and go into the next bowl and make turns then ski down the ridge.  I got to the top in about another hour this was slow trudging having fallen down a few times and then sinking my poles up to two feet deep.  I get to the cross on top of east peak and relax.  Looking at the time it is now 1210 so I have to cancel plans for extra turns and head back up I can just make it down to meet the contractors who have been working all morning. 
Top of east peak is beautiful with fresh snow falling no wind no sun but this is the northwest.  I ski down.  Making beautiful in bounds turn in the back country with the new snow on top of the rotten.  I stay on top and have a blast making so many turns in so little a space.  This is bliss.  I make it bakc soen and check in with my checkout person. 
They are glad to see me but are wondering why I am back early.  Explaining the situtation  They nod and say glad to see you safe.
Things I would change for the next time.  Leave on time is a must, I could easily have made it if I left at 8 but that was not going to happen.  Choose the not common choice by going straight up the steep stuff rather then traversing.  I always traverse but I knew the snow was sluffing and the straight choice was probably better.  However when things go wrong on the steep it is harder to recover that is why I chose the traverse and will do so in the future.
So now I am done and there is a skin trail to the top of east peak by way of bullion basin.  I am educated in the ways of snow by avalanche classes and search and rescue classes.  If you are by the the Snorting Elk and looking for beta on backcountry treks ask for Super. 
Be safe and have fun in the backcountry
:) What a great TR....thanks.

author=dtwolfen link=topic=24651.msg104182#msg104182 date=1335915997]
  I stay on top and have a blast making so many turns in so little a space. 

That's my kinda skier!
Thanks for the great report.

Will you take $500 for it?

Reply to this TR

east-peak-and-beyond-today
dtwolfen
2012-05-01 15:46:37