Home > Trip Reports > April 29, Rock Mtn.

April 29, Rock Mtn.

4/15/12
Posted by teledavid on 4/30/12 4:43am
Kenji, Sally, Nick, Daryl and I drove clear to Eight Mile creek road to find it gated at the campground!  Noooo!  I got bad information from the Leavenworth RD Friday afternoon.  The lady told me it was open!  Oh well, we decided to head back to Rock mountain.

Snow in the TH parking lot then no snow for about 1700' up the trail on the ridge.  As far as I want to carry my skis.  Skinned up from there on the ridge, conditions fine.  Got to about 6200' at the base of the clouds and made a run down about  a 1000' to the SE.  Fun skiing but very heavy and sticky snow.  Skinned back up to the high point south of the summit.  This time the clouds had lifted and we could almost see the summit.  Skied all the way down from here the way we came up.  Fun skiing but still very heavy and sticky.  Best skiing was lower down right on the ridge where the snow was much more firm like spring snow ought to be.  Traversing the east facing steep slopes we set off several wet loose slides about 6-8" deep.

Maybe Kenji will add some pictures.  I would but I still need to figure out how to get them onto the computer.  I just bought a new camera.

It was a fun day and we skied more vertical than we hiked so that's pretty good!
Not the best lighting, but here they are:

Reply to this TR

april-29-rock-mtn
teledavid
2012-04-30 11:43:33