Home > Trip Reports > April 21-22, 2012, Little Devil Peak

April 21-22, 2012, Little Devil Peak

4/21/12
Posted by Animal on 4/25/12 12:10pm
Ben, Kristina, Ryan, and myself skied up Little Devil Peak North East of Monogram Lake in North Cascades National Park.  Nice peak to ski up!  Here are a few pictures!

Top pict is the obvious pickets, and the bottom is our objective of Little Devil.
Here are some more photos!

And three more!

Well done! I made it all the way up to about 4800 ft last winter, and then broke my binding. I'm still bitter about the amount of vertical I hiked on frozen trail in ski boots.

Nice Tiroler hut. That is some fashionable mountain headgear.

I like the cheap plastic bag over the boots for packing technique too. You'd think it can't get wet inside a sideways boot but somehow it always does, huh?

Nice!.  what elevation were you able to start skinning up instead of hiking up?  how long did the trip take?

author=wolfs link=topic=24599.msg103973#msg103973 date=1335427910]
Nice Tiroler hut. That is some fashionable mountain headgear.

I like the hat too!  I just purchased it, and was trying it out on this trip.  the purpose of the hat is for a climb of Mt Olympus we are planning this summer, but we are going to go all "retro" with canvas tents, and bed roles, knickers etc.  So, if anyone has some wool knickers I am interested!  The last pair I purchased on line do not fit.  I think those Italians are smaller than us modern American types!

author=leadmade link=topic=24599.msg103993#msg103993 date=1335474507]
Nice!.  what elevation were you able to start skinning up instead of hiking up?  how long did the trip take?

No one brought an altimeter, but we hit snow probably around 2,700 feet.  WE started to skin may be 3,100 feet just before the first clearing if you have been up the Monogram / Lookout Peak trail.  We reached the west trending ridgeline where we followed this ridge, and cut on the south side of a 6,400 ft sub peak.  Our camp was at 6,100 feet on the south tenting ridge from the sub peak.  We left at 9 AM ish and reached camp around 3 PM ish.  After dinner and after the south east slope became shaded I laid in a track Saturday night to make Sunday quicker in case it froze overnight, but this did not occur.  From our camp it was 3 hours round trip back to camp, but this was not a fast rushed pace.  Nice ski down.  Since it did not freeze I had to kick off a slide on a sun beaten slope to clear it.  This provided a very nice surface to ski on, kind of like a hard groomer.  The tree skiing below, was  ...  well ... tree skiing.  Great trip, I recommend it!

Thats way cool, thanks for sharing!

Way to get after it Kristina!

Reply to this TR

april-21-22-2012-little-devil-peak
Animal
2012-04-25 19:10:36