Home > Trip Reports > Mount Thielsen: April 14

Mount Thielsen: April 14

4/15/12
Posted by Timstirling on 4/25/12 1:27am
First post on TAY, I will start off we a quick summary of a great ski tour I did Saturday 14th attempting Mount Thielsen. Known as the Matterhorn of the cascades, the top spire is a mix of class 4 scramble and class 5 climbing on poor volcanic rock. The true summit wasn't really an objective, we were more interested in skiing the 40 degree slopes in perfect spring corn. Except there was 1.5ft of fresh which was surprising given the forecast 1.5 inches. Weather started cloudy, went super sunny, but when we left the tree line it clouded over. At 8900 feet whiteout conditions with gale force winds forced our descent. The heavy fresh snow and wind meant we kept closer to the ridge climbers left - the snow seemed stable but there was a lot, an icy base, and strong wind deposition on a 35-40 degree slope. In the whiteout I was spooked by the huge open slope that was invisible. Stability tests were ok but I had to follow my gut. makes me worry because if it was sunny I may have ventured a across the face with increased confidence. Descent was sketchy in zero visibility while I was trying to assess avalanche triggers. Soft slab on an unconsolidated 2foot layer on top of ice.

3900 feet of ascent over 4 miles in 6 hours, about 3h slower than expect due to breaking trail through the deep fresh (I also had a very slow partner doing his 2nd ever ski tour, well done to him). 90 minutes back to the car.

Pity the weather didn't stay this way when we were up there!
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7097/7086178421_614e977fd3_b.jpg" />
PS: I am new to Eugene OR, having spent the last 5 years in Switzerland I am keenly looking for touring partners. I aim go out most weekends, this year I have done Maiden Peak, Odell Butte x2, Malaks mountain, 3 fingered jack, Thielsen and Diamond Peak - looking to do mount McLaughlin, mt Scott, south sister, Hood and perhaps Shasta/st Helens/Adams/Jefferson.

Thanks for the report and sorry the conditions weren't better!  That's the best photo yet I've seen of the SW Face - I've been scheming to head down that way and it's great to have some beta.  Welcome to Oregon!

Did you snap that photo on your trip? Looking pretty good for mid April.

My friend took the photo just before we got above the tree line, once we hit tree line it clouded over.

this may be obvious, but thielsen is well worth returning to on a corn day. another one to add to your list is mt. washington. it's not very big compared to most of the other stuff on your list, but it has some really fun skiing in the west bowl or you drop in on the NE side if you want something a little steeper and narrower.

Reply to this TR

mount-thielsen-april-14
Timstirling
2012-04-25 08:27:18