Home > Trip Reports > April 21, 2012, Lennox from East

April 21, 2012, Lennox from East

4/21/12
Posted by Kenji on 4/23/12 3:50pm
Hearing the Miller River Rd is open to the old mine road, I managed to recruit several victims to "ski" Lennox from its East side.  The road is abandoned and gated at its start, but that fact somehow had escaped me completely so the approach didn't seem too bad falsely assuming we could drive some distance....

The road is gentle and peaceful along a fast flowing creek with many trees covered with thick moss.  Just beautiful day with a full of vibrant colors.  After about 3 miles, we left the road and headed uphill through steep dense forest.  After long 6 hours, we reached the summit (5890') of Lennox via Coney Lake (5100').  It is a beautiful spot with a full 360 panorama view, seemed a perfect spot for a lookout.

I had hoped to take a run down North, but we were ready to head back after a break.  The steep slope down to the lake skied well, it got progressively soft after that, then rather slurpy down low.

Skiing out the road seemed to last forever but reached our cars by 6:30, 10 hours for 5500' over 12 miles.  My fish-scale skis worked pretty well for many small uphills on the road, felt sorry for other guys  :(

Overall the north approach seemed better for skiing, but the east route may be great for shoeing and hiking.  I imagine camping at the lake must be nice in summer.
Thanks for the info!  You've put Lennox back on my explore list.  I can see it from my house so I tried to get on top back in December but ran out of time.  Had to turn around at about 4800'.

I approached from the West having driven the long and bumpy North Fork Snoqualmie road.  Long drive, long road ski, just wasn't worth it but found some great skiing in a few places.

Your plan and approach sounds like a lot more fun.

I've included a picture of the fun ski run I found near Lennox and a view looking toward McClain Peaks (which also has some fun skiing but tons of work).

Cheers.

It was a nice day to be in the mountains, despite the long approach and exit.  Kenji's wide skis with a base pattern was the right ski for turning in the slop and the kick and glide on the rolling trail out.

Climbing the ridge above Coney Lake towards the summit.

Kenji climbing the first hill on the way out.

Reply to this TR

april-21-2012-lennox-from-east
Kenji
2012-04-23 22:50:47