Home > Trip Reports > April 20-22, 2012, Jefferson Park

April 20-22, 2012, Jefferson Park

4/20/12
Posted by skier8484 on 4/23/12 1:36pm
The combination of a great weather forecast, and being busy the next two weekends, had me longing for a long weekend trip into the Oregon Cascades (I'm working PDX for three more weeks before returning to Bellingham).  Eyeing a location I hadn't been to before, I settled on the Northwest facing Jefferson Park Glacier.  I left Portland Friday afternoon under clearing skies, stoked to check out a new area and soak up some vitamin D.  

I was able to drive within ~3.5 miles of trailhead where a snowbank near Cheat Creek blocked the road.  

Luckily after less than 20 minutes of road walking I hit continuous snow (and saw a black bear), and skinned the rest of the way to the summer trailhead, where I made camp for the evening.  

I more or less followed the route of the trail towards Jefferson Park, and made decent time while enjoying the Jeffersonian views.  

I made camp in the basin below Jefferson Park proper lacking motivation and energy to push the additional mile.  After a much needed lunch I headed up through the forest to the glacier proper.

Once gaining the moraine, the views of upper glacier came into clear view.  The bergshrunds looked pretty filled in giving me hope I could ski from the high saddle.  

However, as I gained elevation the corn gave way to little water ice chicken heads from what must've been freezing rain during last week's wetter weather.  This made skinning a slippery proposition, so I switched to crampons and made steady progress despite tired legs towards the saddle.

The less than ideal ski conditions and somewhat exposed conditions led me to the conclusion stopping ~100' shy of the saddle would be advisable.  Views to the North:

Rime:

After the long haul in I was pretty stoked to ski the 4000' back to camp.

Evidence I actually did ski:

And was pretty pleased with myself.

The lower slopes became progressively stickier as elevation was lost, but not unenjoyably so.  Back at camp more food was eaten:

I enjoyed the awesome evening light and sunset, before calling it a night.

The next morning I thought about skiing something else in the vicinity, but tired legs, warming temps and a decent amount of distance between me and the car had me packing up and heading back by 7:15.  The trip out was warm and getting warmer, with any south facing snow rotten to the core (pole length plus penetration).  

Parting shot of Jeff:

I was able to ski/pole/tele-fit to with in 20 minutes of the car (no skins needed).  The total time out was less than 4 hours and really not that much work all things considered.  

Overall it was a really satisfying solo trip, felt great to see some new Oregon country and get some good skiing in to boot.  

Jefferson from Detroit Lake:

Wow - that's a fairly ambitious trip.  Nice photos!  Thanks for posting.  I'm hoping to get in there a little later this year for some turns!

Strong work! Both times I've attempted Jefferson it was without skis and I regretted not having them. Way to get after it.

Thanks for the great pictures, and report, it is one of this trips I would like to make, and it sounds like you hit it pretty well.

Nice one man!

great solo style..love it!

What road did you start at?

Thanks for the great post and pics! I haven't been up there since July 5th last summer. I've been itching to get back up there.

Nice solo work indeed.  Sometimes, you just gotta get after it

author=WhiteyWhite link=topic=24581.msg103957#msg103957 date=1335408664]
What road did you start at?

FS 2243 off HWY 22. 

author=alecapone link=topic=24581.msg103927#msg103927 date=1335370830]
Nice one man!

great solo style..love it!

Thanks Scott, took a page outta your book ;)  We should get out and make some non-solo turns this spring!

Reply to this TR

april-20-22-2012-jefferson-park
skier8484
2012-04-23 20:36:48