Home > Trip Reports > April 21-22, 2012, N. Cascades conditions

April 21-22, 2012, N. Cascades conditions

4/21/12
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 4/23/12 3:30am
Susan and I didn't ski, but we carried them far enough that it counts.

Roamed about a bunch down low Saturday with wheels on SR20; very fun. Most impressive avalanche history seemed confined to NE aspects above 5.5k. Lots of unsurprising loose sluffy stuff in the sun.

Sunday, we settled on a "relaxed" trip up Snowking, using only maps as a guide. The USGS quad doesn't tell the whole story. The road that goes to 2800' doesn't. The "4WD" trail above 2800' is blocked by a serious washout.

Just across the Cascade River, after a few minor fords, Road 1570 is blocked by large rocks labelled "BFRs" by the Forest Service. The washouts just up the road are passable on foot, but obstacles for road-legal vehicles, making the BFRs reasonable. From the end of the recently feral road, a steep and brushy climbers path heads up a creekside riblet. We shwacked up, reaching punchy snow and more open forest at 4k. We could smell an epic coming, and decided to bail before it arrived. Downhill travel was easier than up. We didn't check out the old road across the final washout; the Internet thinks it might work?

Bring a light machete for the trip up the road, and your trip down the road will be even more pleasant. With little brushing-out, the road will remain a sustainable trail. Bottom 500' of the climbers' track would benefit from a little love too; it appears to be the default route.

Cow Heaven Trail is a Mt. Si of Marblemount, and provided fine consolation exercise. Steep trail is in the shade by 2pm.

Snow: may be found as low as 1600', in large sheltered patches by 2k, and is continuous in many places above 4k. 6' of snow on the road at Swamp Creek.
How did you get to Swamp Creek? Bike?

author=philfort link=topic=24572.msg103828#msg103828 date=1335207397]
How did you get to Swamp Creek? Bike?

Yep. Saw someone headed up with skis and a trailer too :).

author=Charlie Hagedorn link=topic=24572.msg103827#msg103827 date=1335205817]on SR20; very fun. Most impressive avalanche history seemed confined to NE aspects above 5.5k. Lots of unsurprising loose sluffy stuff in the sun.

I just heard the big NE gully at Ruby came down. I was there last weekend: it does get quite a bit of afternoon sun. N

I was up on Ruby Sat/Sun (the secret stash...lol), and everything was sliding. I watched tons of natural releases and could ski cut slides on pretty low angle stuff as well. The main gully in the upper part of Happy Creek was full of tons of debris. I cut across the top of it and happily (pun intended) added a bunch more debris to the pile. Definitely not the best ski conditions but a gorgeous weekend to get out and enjoy NCNP before the highway opens to the congo line of fat people in RVs and Harleys.

had a long day on snowking once ;-)  good decision Charlie

Reply to this TR

april-21-22-2012-n-cascades-conditions
Charlie Hagedorn
2012-04-23 10:30:17