March 6, 2005, Baker Lifts

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
07 Mar 2005 05:24 #211853 by Jim Oker
March 6, 2005, Baker Lifts was created by Jim Oker
We headed up to the upper lot keeping our options open for either a tour or the lifts, depending on what we saw. Looked like the cover was at least passable for some lift skiing, and that the probability of ego corn was a bit higher on lifts than in the untracked BC which looked to hold lots of firm potato mash. The lifts that run down closer to White Salmon lodge were all closed. With few others there to slow our progress, we pounded our legs thoroughly while skiing fun corn on a limited number of trails. The most fun of the day was definitely the Canyon, which was nicely groomed, and lacking the usual horde of carbon-water-based moving obstacles. It took a few runs to figure out the most pleasant route to the top of the canyon proper. The lower skiing near chair 6 was getting quite sketchy and since this year is a bit anomolous, the ski area has not mastered the art of piling snow up to ration out near the thinner spots (well developed art in VT/NH/ME). I don't think chair 6 can run for much longer unless the weather changes. The slopes directly below chair 6 are mostly bare until close to the top.<br><br>It was nice to get in a lifts day before WA lifts are closed for the season.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2005 09:27 #211854 by Matt C
Replied by Matt C on topic Re: March 6, 2005, Baker Lifts
Thanks for the report Jim<br><br>I emailed the ski area earlier this year asking whether they would be giving season ticket holders a discount for next year. Back then they said it was too early to tell if it was going to be a total waste of a season. Hopefully they are generous because lift access skiing SUCKED...front and backcountry was a totally different story though!!! Pray for a discount or major March dumpage!!!

More
07 Mar 2005 12:58 #211855 by Scole
Replied by Scole on topic Re: March 6, 2005, Baker Lifts
<br>I hope so. I only used my pass once so my $600 lift ticket stings pretty bad. I knew it would be a down year but not THIS bad.<br><br>This weekend I fly down to Tahoe where, surprise surprise, it's 60 degrees & sunny. &gt;:( *sigh*..<br><br>