Home > Trip Reports > April 18, 2012, - Granite Mt. Dusk Patrol

April 18, 2012, - Granite Mt. Dusk Patrol

4/18/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by DCM on 4/19/12 12:35am
Just a quick note if anyone is curious about conditions.  No pictures, as we were short on time and trying to make the summit (sadly we failed due to impending darkness).  Trail is mostly snow free until it first approaches Avalanche Gully.  Lot's of carnage on the trail here (not sure if that is new or not) due to a slide.  Gully is pretty much melted out here, so we stuck to the now snow-covered trail for another few switch backs before turning up the gully.  Really gloppy and tricky skinning in the lower gully.  Struck out towards the west ridge at the top of the gully, which had about a 1" refreezing crust with patches of glop mixed in.  Made it to about 5100' before turning around.  Ski down was good up high, but horrendous when we hit the glop.  Survived the hike out in the dark.  Enjoyed some snow bank chilled homebrew at the car, and drove home to irritated significant others (never seem to make it home on time from dusk patrol).
author=DCM link=topic=24542.msg103708#msg103708 date=1334849707]drove home to irritated significant others (never seem to make it home on time from dusk patrol).

New rule - You're going skiing.  You're not exactly sure when you'll be back.  Don't worry.  No news is good news.

author=glenn_b link=topic=24542.msg103732#msg103732 date=1334886532]
New rule - You're going skiing.  You're not exactly sure when you'll be back.  Don't worry.  No news is good news.

Corollary to new rule:
The new rule will be acknowledged but never applied. They'll still be worried.  And pissed. 

I love that dusk patrol objective.  It has been a couple of years since I hit it.  Sounds like tough conditions.  Sounds like you hit the one thing you can usually count on, irritated significant others!  Classic line! 

Reminds me that I did come back from that dusk patrol to something worse than an angry spoise;a busted out car window and missing gear - requiring a call to said irritated spouse to come fetch me a new set of car keys.  Fortunately this was before we started having kids; otherwise the answer would have been, "that sucks, how are you getting home?"

Reply to this TR

april-18-2012-granite-mt-dusk-patrol
DCM
2012-04-19 07:35:07