Home > Trip Reports > Mount Thomson circumnav - April 14-15, 2012

Mount Thomson circumnav - April 14-15, 2012

4/15/12
Posted by cumulus on 4/18/12 3:52pm
A bit OC perhaps but it's been my third time in almost as many weeks beyond the Kendall catwalk... without ever having used the catwalk... but useful in that it seems to define some invisibly inscribed line containing more popular Snoqualmie ski venturing.  So much untapped out there. Maybe it's the distance. The lack of line of sight? Scurlock preferring the N. Cascades...  ah yes, and the interwebz.  Who knows?  Just another sheep boy / duck call, swan song / Idiot son of Donkey Kong...   oh crap I'm quoting lyrics and supposed to be writing a TR, idiot son indeed. Back to task.

Most people have more sense than to go skiing down Burnboot Creek... even more so now that it's melting out quickly - though  I have to say (despite only skiing part of what we set out to ski) that I enjoyed it immensely... venturing into the unknown was intoxicating, brutal and glorious. Such awesome country. Such an incredible time to experience these giant protrusions of rock shedding their winter coats. So rewarding to see what maps can never show.

For good measure we started off with Camel Toe (Kendall chutes) which delivered us across Silver Creek and up towards Alaska Lake's SE arm. Above Gravel Lake we dropped into Thomson basin, a foreboding sky and hour of the day compelling us down towards Burnboot Creek via Edds Lake.

We spent the night along Burnboot Creek just shy of Goat Creek, right where the whims of the greater Middle Fork Thermal Wind Channels abruptly eliminated the snowpack that had, thus far, deposited us rather comfortably with skis still bound to feet. No longer. We started Sunday morning with skis on our backs, a 400-500' hike up until we hit continuous snow along the Goat Creek drainage.
(in the name of complete disclosure: we briefly contemplated ditching Goat Creek plans altogether in favor of soaking in a hotspring... figuring we could hitch a ride out the Middle Fork ("are your keys in your car at the Mercer P&R?" "nope" etc.) )  Sometimes it's good practice to entertain the options even when one knows to be in the firm grip of destinies undertow...)
Due to alarm malfunction and starting an hour later a bit of underlying anxiety spurred us on - a race with the arc of the sun - traveling as we were through unknown territory armed only with educated guesses but no definitive knowledge in terms of a route up and out of Goat basin.  But we did alright, finding an unexpected direct and shaded route out before noon.  Just in time for some corn on Red to finish off a great tour...

Thanks for being a great partner Rob!

Camel Toe in the morning

looking back from Gravel Lake NE ridge

skiing down into Thomson basin

crossing avi debris on traverse around Edds Lake

classic Cascade wilderness skiing... negotiating Edds Creek drainage

Thomson from  Burnboot Creek

looking back at Thomson from upper Goat Creek basin

how to get over this ridge?

aha! this way - straight towards the sun

Rob on Red

sweet adventure!  the race 'gainst "the arc of the sun" is an anxious one, to be sure...

Great TR and pics! Question, in the third photo, looking back from Gravel Lake, what ridge is that? I think it's the back of Red or Snoqualmie but I can't tell. There's some great looking lines on it. thanks

author=CascadEagan link=topic=24541.msg103716#msg103716 date=1334855898]
Great TR and pics! Question, in the third photo, looking back from Gravel Lake, what ridge is that? I think it's the back of Red or Snoqualmie but I can't tell. There's some great looking lines on it. thanks

Pretty sure that is the back of Kendall

author=CascadEagan link=topic=24541.msg103716#msg103716 date=1334855898]
what ridge is that?

yep, Kendall.  In fact the picture right above it is of the very same place, just a different much more foreshortened viewpoint... see it?

We came in from the Commonwealth but there's other access as well.

If you dig around a little, somewhere here on TAY there's a picture labeling all the chutes, including Camel Toe.

Reply to this TR

mount-thomson-circumnav-april-14-15-2012
cumulus
2012-04-18 22:52:21