Home > Trip Reports > 4-17-12 Ghost Ridge, Mt. Hood

4-17-12 Ghost Ridge, Mt. Hood

4/17/12
OR Mt Hood
Posted by rong on 4/17/12 8:57am
Having not skied for a couple weeks, and missing the weekend corn for yard-work >:(, I decided that if I could beat the incoming storm, and select a low elevation objective (warmer) perhaps I could get that corn that has eluded me this spring thus-far.  Ghost ridge was it.  Getting a later than normal start, so the surface could soften was a must, and I arrived at the Barlow sno-park at 9:30 for a leisurely skin south on the PCT.  The sun had already disappeared behind a milky cloud cover, and the temperature was not warming as I had hoped, compounded by the NW aspect I would be skiing.  It was feeling like an exercise day more than a quality ski day, and at 10:15 I was ripping skins at 4950' for the first lap.  Firm smooth rain crust on top gradually softening as I descended the 1100' to the bottom of the valley.  Good enough for a second lap, which provided better corning conditions on top and very soft at the bottom.  A quick contour skin back to the sno-park at 1:20 just as the rain was beginning to fall, and on my way home. 

Reply to this TR

4-17-12-ghost-ridge-mt-hood
rong
2012-04-17 15:57:08