Home > Trip Reports > April 14, 2012, Rainy Pass/ Nason saddle- LOST SKI

April 14, 2012, Rainy Pass/ Nason saddle- LOST SKI

4/14/12
Posted by justgettingout on 4/17/12 3:39am
Went up  Springbrook road to the saddle at Rainy pass. Observed chunky avalanche debris all over the south facing slopes in between switch backs and on the road itself.  In the AM this was all pretty solid however and skining up in between the switch backs was OK.  At Rainy pass we skied the north facing bowl at about 12 noon. By then it had softened up and was not bad to ski.
My partner however, lost a ski and we spent the next few hours digging and searching to no avail. IF ANYONE FINDS A SKI in this area please let me know.
The resulting monoski out was tiring but OK. And by then the aforementioned south facing slopes were very soft and releasing small wet avalanches.
Just curious, what type of binding?

It was a Dyna fit of some kind- I dont recall which one. I have been thinking about getting some myself but I had observed some stepping in issues my partner was also having- maybe related to the popping out that happened when it really shouldnt have.  :-[

Yes, I am tempted to try a Dynafit binding as well, but am wary for the same reasons. Unplanned releases seem frequent and the brakes often inadequate.

Seems like Dyna's are the best thing going, when all is well, but tend to be finicky and unreliable from what I have seen. For now I will remain in the low tech age...

Glad you both made it out safely.

Reply to this TR

april-14-2012-rainy-pass-nason-saddle-lost-ski
justgettingout
2012-04-17 10:39:26