Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2012, - Whitehorse w/small pics!

April 15, 2012, - Whitehorse w/small pics!

4/15/12
Posted by cchapin on 4/16/12 11:50pm
Phone friendly TR.

We did the standard route.  Hit continuous snow with breakable crust at 2200' and transitioned from there.  Skinned to 3400' then booted up 500 feet of avy debris (could probably be avoided if following the summer trail).  Ski crampons very useful from 4000' up on a slightly softened but firm crust.  Heard and saw 2 rock\snow falls in Snow Gulch during the day.  The party behind us said they saw 2 others too.  Not much sun during the day which was perfect since the route has lots of cliffs above still loaded with ice\snow\rock.  Powder turns up high from summit to High Pass, then corn to Lone Tree Pass, then mush back to transition point.

More pics and details found here.

http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Skiing/Whitehorse-Mountain-via-NW/22486257_ZqM3BM#!i=1798581546&k=rdLSb8v

7 foot flank in an avy gulley, mother nature's "half pipe"

Looking back towards High Pass

Downclimbing

Other party downclimbing

Lane of corn

Summit from avy debris at 3400'
We almost headed this way, but did Kaleetan instead.  Time to re-visit the horse, thanks for a TR and pics!

Kenji, how did Kaleetan ski?  I'm one of the three guys that passed you going the opposite direction on Sunday down by Melakwa Lake (we were doing the counter-clockwise Chair Peak circumnav).  Jeremy was the one singing the Juicyfruit jingle.

Hopefully you guys had a great tour.  We exited via Pineapple Pass and the north-facing slopes there were excellent.

Kaleetan skied well. Not too soft, not too hard, just right for the steep summit.  After a loooong detour, the Pineapple basin was freezing up, and that made skiing rather challenging for us.  I'm behind in posting a TR...

Reply to this TR

april-15-2012-whitehorse-w-small-pics
cchapin
2012-04-17 06:50:06