Home > Trip Reports > April 15, 2012, Silver Peak to Lake Annette

April 15, 2012, Silver Peak to Lake Annette

4/15/12
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Randito on 4/15/12 11:37am
Ed, Frank, Laura, Anita. myself and Tia the wonder dog left a car at exit 47, drove to the Silver Fir parking lot and then skinned up XC trails to "Grand Junction" and followed the "Ripsaw" XC trail down to the bottom of "Windy Acres" Ripsaw was in very bumpy condition from snow cats hauling downed timber up the trail to "Grand Junction".   Followed snow-mobile tracks through "Windy Acres" and up in the NE basin, Gaining the North ridge was pretty easy and good views in all directions.  Enjoyed a relaxed lunch -- until the whine of snow-mobiles high marking in Silver's north basin intruded on the day.   Silver's west slopes skied very well.  At first the snow "dust on smooth crust", with progressive softening -- but the snow only became mush just above Lake Annette.   Crossed the lake and skied west side of creek at bottom of avalanche slopes from Humpback Mtn all the way to the railroad tracks / Iron Horse trail.   Rejoined the hiking trail there and skiied a bit farther, but hiked with skis on pack out the last 1/2 mile of so.

Nice Randy - I'm sorry I missed this fun tour - one of my favorites - and the chance to ski with you and the pooch again!  Catch you soon - Jim

I also enjoyed the silver peak highmark park on Sunday....via the hyak road slog. Returned via nordic pass and got lost, caught between various uncrossable streams. I need to go back armed with 100 blue diamonds to affix to every tree on the correct path. Oops...

Here are some more photos/videos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/76533141@N00/sets/72157629467496754/

Should have brought this map with me..
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php?id=328790008_26d5baea7a&p=230862

Though it looks like heading right and straight for the bridge is the most direct route...hmmm.

It was great running into you -- nice pics and video.

Those little creeks to the east of Nordic pass can be a pain -- I skiied out that way earlier this year Trip Report  trying to go between the creeks and Mt Catherine.  I ended up having to climb (sidestepping :P ) a fair amount. 

I've got a box of blue diamonds any time you want to mark the definitive route through the woods.

Reply to this TR

april-15-2012-silver-peak-to-lake-annette
Randito
2012-04-15 18:37:21