Home > Trip Reports > April 13, 2012, Chumstick Mt. indirect

April 13, 2012, Chumstick Mt. indirect

4/13/12
Posted by jtack on 4/14/12 2:38pm
From the environs of Wenatchee Chumstick Mt. is always a tempting sight.  After a fresh snow it stands out on the north west horizon as a white dome that should be skied.  But, if you give it much thought, and a glance at a map, it is not too hard to figure that it is a south facing slope, with not all that much vert. and the approach looks like a long slog.  Turns out that about sums up the trip, with a few notable exceptions.  A friend and I had been talking about giving it a try before the snow was too far gone, so yesterday we took a shot.  We started out looking up Ollala Canyon, hoping to  make the snow line, but all we found was a locked gate.  Next we headed for Derby Canyon, and made it to the snow line, but it was 700 feet lower, and miles further away, and as it turned out it was just the false snow line.  Booting up the road, second guessing if we could have driven any further, it was a long way before we could put on the skies.  The way in is a tangle of logging roads, and always the question, are we better off on the road, or should we just head up in what seems like the right direction.  We chose the road (the long cut) and after two "are we really going to go all the way around this basin"  finally turned for our objective, and started to gain some elevation.  The last two miles were actually enjoyable with the occasional glimpse of the mountain to  make us feel better.  We cut the last long switchback and were on top in no time.  We were happy to see that the ski down was going to be creamy not quite corn on a firm base.  The unexpected pleasure of the trip is the exceptional view of the Cascades, right around to the Waterville plateau.  It was the site of a Forest Service lookout, that did not survive their burn it down phase.  For those of you who are always shopping for a great view, this surely fits the bill.  Hard to say what the best way in is, Nahahum, or Swakane might be better choices, but depending on travel conditions it will probably be a long haul.  Would like to post a panorama of the Cascades, but my camera battery ran out of juice, so nothing to special.
Sorry I missed out, I've been couch bound with the flu. Did you climb the hump to the SE too? The south facing run of it's summit it nice. Last may Mike and I walked on dirt to the spot where your summit pic is and put skis on there.

The name alone would be worth the effort. Chumstick..

Arron,hope you are on the mend, it was a slog for ~1200 vert. , but it was good turning. .......... Al, you can still bag it, we were working on a beargrass, pine needle rating for the slide out, take your rock board.  In the end we were down to equal parts sliding on snow, and walking/sliding on dirt beargrass and pine needles!

Good work, Jamie!  I was just looking at Chumstick the other day.  I'm glad someone skied it because it looks perfect from town right now!  Way to persevere on the approach :)

Reply to this TR

april-13-2012-chumstick-mt-indirect
jtack
2012-04-14 21:38:43