Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2012, Mt St. Helens

April 7, 2012, Mt St. Helens

4/7/12
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by DOD on 4/11/12 3:29am
Left Seattle 0430 and rolled into cougar @ 0730 hrs and met up with K-Root. Sorted permits at the corner store and shuffled into K-Roots wagon 4 a little extra clearance and the luxury of snow tires. Some compact snow on the road up to the start of the worm flows route.
skins on and clicked in at 0815hrs

about 50-60 people made it out on a sunny Sat morning (combo of snowshoers and skiers...and about 5,000 snowmobilers in the carpark, we skinned up to the crater rim in 4 hrs 28 mins. rather windy and cold at the top. took crampons and axe but was not required. Realised that I'd left my camera battery at home....bugger!

Ski descent was on a cold, soft dry top layer of a few inches that had fallen in the last 24-48hrs. realy nice skiing down to 1500 meters ASL. got a little soft and grabby from their back to the car. snow seamed settled and stable throughout descent.

Great to get out during a break of high pressure.
A piccy of the festivities.

GIDDYUP!

Did the snowmobiles stick to lower elevations?  Were they near your ski route?  With the mixed use, I'm wondering how much of a wilderness experience you had as you got higher up the mountain.

Thanks for the report.  I'm hoping to make it up there soon.

Cheers.

Reply to this TR

april-7-2012-mt-st-helens
DOD
2012-04-11 10:29:31