Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2012, Aussie, Matier, Slalok

April 7, 2012, Aussie, Matier, Slalok

4/7/12
Posted by Gregg_C on 4/10/12 2:26pm
Skied the classic traverse with Jenni P., Dave B. and Andy T. on Saturday.  Conditions were outstanding on north facing aspects.  The Aussie was a mix of corn, breakable crust, rock hard refreeze and throw you over the front end breakable.  After that some of the best turns of the year were had on Matier's NW face and the Stonecrop Glacier on Slalok.  An outstanding day with great companions.  All three summits in 11.5 hours-round trip car to car.

Dave at the Cerise Creek pullout

It was truely a gem of a morning.  Joffre on the approach

Aussie in the late morning sun.  Reached the top in four and half hours from the road.

Jenni enjoys the outstanding conditions on Matier's NW Face

Dave, Jenni and Andy on Slalok's summit with the Pemberton Valley in the background.

Dave crossing one of the Joffre Lakes with Slalok in the background.  In my opinion one of the best powder runs in our part of the world.  3k ft. plus fall line summit to lake.  A kick ass classic.

Highly recommended tour.  But next time I am just going to lap the north facing goodness.  I am done placing objectives over powder runs.  The contrast between the Aussie and the rest of the tour pushed me over the edge.  Still,  a truely wonderful day in the mountains.
I think the north facing powder tour would be the north faces of Matier to Slalok to Taylor with a finishing run on Heart Strings to get back to the car.

now thats a big day!  nice work y'all.

Great day in the mountains with the Washington crew. Aussie couloir was a challenge. We nailed the N facing slopes.

I would have to agree Slalok stonecrop face is one of the best ski lines on the duffey. Ski touring to a heli ski run.

Great tour you guys!  Have skied those in pieces, in one day is a good grunt.    Looks like stellar weather for it.

A few more pics. 

1.  Gregg & Jenni booting near the top of Joffre, Matier in background
2.  Skinning up the N face of Matier with Joffre in background
3.  Looking back at the N aspect of Matier from Slalok

Great trip Dave and others!! Thanks for sharing the stoke for an area I have wanted to venture for some time now. Damn school is getting in the way all too often this past year.

11.5 hours car to car, that is some quick shuffling on the skis my friend, but of course not much for you. Glad you all had stellar conditions to boot!

I suspected that's what "I'm in Whistler" meant.  Nice job, gang!  I would put Stonecrop on my top 10 lifetime pow runs list as well.

Reply to this TR

april-7-2012-aussie-matier-slalok
Gregg_C
2012-04-10 21:26:25