Home > Trip Reports > April 7 - A Day at Hurricane

April 7 - A Day at Hurricane

4/15/12
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 4/9/12 2:21pm
Blitz and Feck joined Jan, Jeff and me for a return to the area which had rewarded Chmnyboy and me two weeks ago. Bluebird conditions encouraged us up the steep climb to the ridge line. As we neared the top, a persistent layer of marine air settled in, obscuring the upper ridge line.

A sucker hole gave us the opportunity to ski boot top, consistent powder to the bottom of the bowl. The climb out was in a mixture of sun and clouds. After some discussion we elected for a second run in another section of the bowl.

Although we were shut out of our more ambitious plans for the day, the consolation prize was a better than expected descent back down to the car on the south facing aspect.

Another fun day in the mountains with good friends and family.  :D

Here are a few pictures;

1. Alisa enjoying the snow
2. Jan near the bottom of the bowl
3. Kurt dropping in

Gary
whoo hoo!!! 8)
it was a fun day!

Great shot of the  ;D-ing blitz

Where is this spot?  Big cliffs; can't be too far from the Ridge.  I promise not to tell Victor...?

author=telemack link=topic=24460.msg103392#msg103392 date=1334150065]
Where is this spot?  Big cliffs; can't be too far from the Ridge.  I promise not to tell Victor...?

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.  Looks like it is still great up there.  I need to get out.

Thanks for sharing.

That is a north bowl off the western Mt Angeles ridge. We parked at one of the turn outs ~ 3 miles before you get to Hurricaine Ridge and started climbing. Mac, I think we climbed the approach with CW and a teenager named Micheal from the climbing gym about five years ago.

author=telemack link=topic=24460.msg103392#msg103392 date=1334150065]

To expand a little on Alisa's response to your question, it is almost exactly where you made this most excellent snow angel last May.  8)

Your friends in PA

author=blitz link=topic=24460.msg103417#msg103417 date=1334181756]
That is a north bowl off the western Mt Angeles ridge. We parked at one of the turn outs ~ 3 miles before you get to Hurricaine Ridge and started climbing. Mac, I think we climbed the approach with CW and a teenager named Micheal from the climbing gym about five years ago.

oops, that is the east Mt Angeles ridge.
that is a pretty funny picture Mac...

Right, I recognized after asking.  SO much snow!  Alisa, I think we were east of Maggie's.  I had completely forgotten that blast from the past.

How come these Olympic locals get so many photos of me topless in the snow?
Maybe that's why people keep telling me to "keep your shirt on"?  ::)

Reply to this TR

april-7-a-day-at-hurricane
Gary_H
2012-04-09 21:21:52