Home > Trip Reports > April 7, 2012, Mt. Cashmere

April 7, 2012, Mt. Cashmere

4/7/12
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jwplotz on 4/8/12 11:59am
With sun forecasted and danger low, Kyle Flick and I enjoyed an interesting day on Cashmere.  The skiing was excellent, but I can't speak for Kyle since due to some odd miscommunication in the wind and near white-out just below the summit, he took another way down through Lake Victoria, while I skied back down the south side, our path of ascent, on good corn, decent powder and sunshine.  We eventually met up back at Bridge Creek Campground safe and sound, chuckling at the cluster f***age.   

We ran into Dan Hilden and AJ Scott.  Scott easily could have lapped us as he burned up our skin track, catching us on the summit.

The Icicle bouldering and cragging were in full-swing, marking that Spring transition that makes Leavenworth so special. 

South side ascent path.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7059119201_9067b0eeed_b.jpg" />

AJ taking it in on top.

"while I skied back down the south side"

Sounds like you where confused. That's not way you where supposed to go!

John,

Whats the road coverage like now?

There are two patches of dry road requiring a small bit of walking. But other than that, I'd say it's 85% skiable still.

It was disconcerting skiing down the north face of Mt. Cashmere sans partner.  Our intended descent was the north ridge, but from the summit the only feasible way down was the north face.  I booted down the first 100' before putting on my skis.  I called up and heard John in the wind and mist, but somehow he lost track that I was below him.  So he turned around and headed back down to the south the path of our ascent while I thought he might be below me somewhere in the clouds; so I skied down to a cliff band.  Since John had the rope, and conditions were not good to reascend, I elected to kick off 4"sloughs traversing through the cliff band on a ledge system.  Once past the cliff band, the snow stability increased and other than concern for the whereabouts of my partner, the ski down to Lake Victoria was in remarkable powder.  From the lake I followed the outlet stream most of the way down to the trailhead without mishap, crossed the Doctor Creek Bridge, and skate skied several miles of the Icicle Road back to the vehicles.  I was very relieved to find John (alive) waiting for me.

You guys are too much, loose a partner, no problem, a solo trip together.  We get a twofer trip report,  sounds like it was good no matter what route you take.

So I am confused - how'd you two get separated?

Nice woolly hat on top of Kyle's suffering head.
Nice story, how does it end, were you separated by the eternal battle between reason and love?!@#$%&*)*&^(&^%

Reply to this TR

april-7-2012-mt-cashmere
jwplotz
2012-04-08 18:59:42