Home > Trip Reports > March 5, 2005, Nisqually Chute

March 5, 2005, Nisqually Chute

3/5/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 3/5/05 7:10am
Friday's forecast convinced me that Sunday would be the better day.  So when I got up to blue skies this morning I knew I'd been suckered again.  My wife caught my mood and suggested that I should go skiing today.  Unfortunately it was 10 am before I rolled out of town.  

The clouds were increasing fast over Mt Rainier when I arrived at Paradise.  I cruised up to the Muir Snowfield, initially aiming for the Paradise Glacier.  I switched to the Nisqually Chute when I saw how crusty the few inches of recent snow was.  At the base of the snowfield I bumped into "gusk", a TAY'er and a friend of my brother Gordy (nice to meet you Gus).  Gus reported high winds near Anvil Rock and survival skiing below.  

I dropped into the Nisqually Chute and found pretty decent snow there. The morning sun had corned it up a little and there was enough sunshine yet to keep it soft.  The chute had a lot of little snowballs, but they were soft enough to be no problem.  I reached the Nisqually moraine with some time to spare and decided to take another run. The chute was still skinnable and was just starting to refreeze near the top when I started my second run.  Unfortunately I whacked a melon-sized rock on each run.  

I stopped in Eatonville just before sunset and the mountain had a fabulous cloud girding it--like the rings of Saturn. Oddly, the mid-day clouds had mostly disipated by evening.  
Nice report, Lowell.
Good info.  It helped us decide where to go the next day.

Hey Lowell,
 Great running into you up there.  You were hauling ass up the hill.  The snow became easier to turn in/slushier, as we got down lower.
Amazing low coverage around paradise,
-Gus

Reply to this TR

march-5-2005-nisqually-chute
Lowell_Skoog
2005-03-05 15:10:08